One for Tony or Stuart

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

One for Tony or Stuart

Post by Ernie »

I have lost the label of this plant. Looking at the Gasteria book I am no wiser. Any offers on species please
P1030051.JPG
DSCN7561.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: One for Tony or Stuart

Post by Stuart »

How does Gasteria Thunbergii sound?

Stuart
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Yes, indeed. Nice plant, Ernie, beautifully displayed.
Re. the 'Gasteria book', page 85, second item down, thunbergii --> carinata var. verrucosa. EvJ elevated it back to species status in 2007.

Here are some in the former collection of the late Cok Grootscholten:

thunbergii.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Thank you very much. Excellent information. Does that mean Gasteria carinata var. verrucosa is a sperate species?. I have two plants with that name. Obtained from Abbeybrook in 2018. One has Abbey brook ref. number 7645 Ex RE73 (Ron Evans?) The other has Abbeybrook number 7502 Herbertsdale form, Ex. Selectra nursery South Africa 6/1998. Both look the same but neither looks much like the photo I posted.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Ernie wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:32 pm [...] Both look the same but neither looks much like the photo I posted.
You need to give us more photos for a proper identification! (I'm kidding, just want to see more photos for Christmas.)
Mat
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Yes, Ernie. Gasteria carinata var. verrucosa is a discrete sp/var - who knows, it might even become G. verrucosa again, eventually.

G. thunbergii was lumped into it once but EvJ separated it again as thunbergii has two quite unique characteristics.1. the leaves incurve and can almost completely enclose in dry conditions, 2. it usually forms offsets on stolons (the unrelated G. pillansii is the only other gasteria that does this).

Sone more photos (just for Mat :wink: )

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Thanks Tony. I am pleased I started this thread. Its interesting. I have noticed that my thunbergii has white horizontal stripes running down the length of the dark green leaves whereas the G. C. Var verrucosa plants have dull green leaves with raised white spots. Having so many of these plants and Haworthias, perhaps its time I joined the Haworthia society.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

Nice to see someone else using bonsai dishes, a lot of my seedlings are in Bonsai dishes.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by TomInTucson »

AllanA wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:52 am Nice to see someone else using bonsai dishes, a lot of my seedlings are in Bonsai dishes.
🖒 (tu)
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

I’ve been looking for g. thunbergii for a while. Was pleased to find a small plant on eBay recently. It has the concave leaves and is offsetting on a stolon so happy I’ve got the right plant!
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.