Handling opuntia

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RayW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Handling opuntia

Post by RayW »

Like Ralph, I visited Worfield when as a child, over 67 years ago. I don't remember the Mexican band, :???: only that my father spent the whole 3 hours talking about the war with Sir Oliver ( they had been in Afrika and Italy together ). It took me that long to decide what to buy with my saved up pocket money :wink:
I think the book Tom mentioned I do have.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

I went to Worfield Gardens in the 1960's on a Nottingham Branch trip. The "band" was called "Madam Bruce's Mexican Orchestra", a name I remembered as it was hardly a typical Mexican name!

See also:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38HQBsQAMXU

If its hard to repot cut off or break the pot rather than damage the plant, since we are cactophiles not containerists. Being early adopters of cheap plastic pots from the 1960's onwards so needing less cleaning than clays for shows, Brits did not generally use valuable pots as the Americans did. Some of their fancy pots often cost more than the plant was worth.

In the past in the UK as long as the pot was clean it did not rate much in shows judging. Therefore fancy ceramics did not outpoint plain plastics in what is essentially a plant rather than a pot show. Fancy pots in the 1960's were left to flower arranging shows!
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Looks lovely Patrick, Please give us a progress report in the summer, especially if it flowers.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

image001(2).jpg
image001(2).jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 256 times
This reached me from a dear friend on the other side of the pond in her HNY greeting.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Tina wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:05 pm Looks lovely Patrick, Please give us a progress report in the summer, especially if it flowers.
So Tina, here's an update. The one in the ground was subjected to the biggest winter rain fall in 10 years just after it was planted, something it didn't enjoy, it is not flowering but the new pads which are mushrooming out of it are just as pretty. One that's still in a pot has nearly 30 buds, it would be spectacular if they all flowered at the same time but 2 or 3 at a time makes more sense, I am sure, from an evolutionary perspective!
IMG_2990.jpeg
IMG_2989.jpeg
IMG_2987.jpeg
IMG_2970.jpeg
IMG_2969.jpeg
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Patrick,
That's really not what you would expect, the pot one looks super.
I wonder if the potted out one will overtake it once it establishes roots, your on a winner at the moment- such nice flowers
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.