It's going to get cold.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
habanerocat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

It's going to get cold.

Post by habanerocat »

How cold we don't know yet.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook

It's time to take out the bubble wrap. I just lay it over the plants. Far too big a job to hang it inside the walls and roof.

it's not the cold I'm afraid of as such, but the resulting condensation. I read there that some greenhouses have condensation channels to take drips safely to the floor, avoiding the plants. But not my old refurbished one. My old greenhouse has glass and straight sides, and the condensation generally just runs down the roof to the eaves and drips down the vertical sides. The refurbished one has polycarbonate and sloping sides which means when the drips reach the eaves they fall straight down on top of the plants. The side facing the morning sun seems to be particularly bad.

So if anybody is thinking of buying a new greenhouse, don't get one with sloping sides if you want to keep your plants bone dry over winter.

Time to go up to the attic for the bubble wrap....
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: It's going to get cold.

Post by Mike P »

And about time too. We have Cameilas in flower, snowdrops almost out and Eucomis which haven’t finished dying down yet. If my mother was still alive she’d be saying ‘it all needs putting back in its place’.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Well it is January....
Rockspeny
Registered Guest
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Rockspeny »

Yes, I was out this afternoon to lay newpaper over the collection ready for a week of colder weather. Newspaper is good because it lets some air flow through and it absorbs moisture.
Noticed I have lost my e. subdenudata due to mildew. It wasn't looking healthy most of the year anyway, so fingers crossed that will be the only loss of the winter.
Spencer Reynolds aka "Rockspeny"
Sheffield BCSS - member 60811
Mostly growing cacti people may label astrophytum, aylostera, echinocereus, echinopsis, gymnocalycium, mediolobivia or sulcorebutia, in too little space with not enough sunshine, but lots of care. Long live collection numbers!
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

Rockspeny wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:42 pm Yes, I was out this afternoon to lay newpaper over the collection ready for a week of colder weather. Newspaper is good because it lets some air flow through and it absorbs moisture.
To be honest, I still don't really understand the newspaper thing quite a few people seem to advice. That it absorbs some of the moisture, that I can understand. Although newspaper paper is actually quite bad at taking up moist, as when freshly printed the ink hardly dries compared to other types of paper (I have a graphic background). So if you use other types of paper you would get a better result. Or just open the window, even when it is cold... Fresh air from outside is the best way to reduce excessive moisture.

If paper is used to insulate, it would make sense if you insulate the heating source. But plants don't heath themselves like warmth blooded animals such as us. For us clothes are useful to keep the warmth inside. But there is no warmth to keep inside between the plants and the newspaper you use. What probably is more useful is to trap the warmth inside the entire greenhouse during the day, generated by the always shining sun on excessive cold days, with bubble wrap on the panes of the greenhouse. But even that might only buy you an hour of less freezing cold as the heath dissipates during the night no matter what if you don't have a human made heating source.

This paper thing always sounds more like a myth than actually well investigated truth. A bit like "don't water your plants during the day as the sun and water drops will scorch the epidermis".

I have only used newspaper for my plants to shield some of my smaller plants from the excessive sun intensity during the few days of around 40C we had in the last few summers (and future summers, I am sure). I know that at least helps!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I have heard of some of a friends Eriosyce getting a fleece body wrap.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Darren S »

Lowest forecast for this coming week here at the moment is -2C. Unlikely I will even bother closing the greenhouse door and vents to be honest - I'd rather have the air flow.
With the sun it reached 12C this lunchtime even though fully open. It was very pleasant.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

My GH got to about 7C with door open. Tomorrow will be cold. It will be unlikely to be opened.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

I asked the same question on here before @Aiko as I don't really understand how fleece, paper and bubble-wrap work. And I've searched extensively on the internet.
Outside in the garden they surely prevent wind-chill but inside that wouldn't be the case.

It's probably got something to do with the way the frost penetrates. In Florida they spray the oranges with water before frost so that the ice covering will save the fruit.
Outdoor plants covered with snow helping to protect the plant from frost.
tenor-3008910101.gif
tenor-3008910101.gif (1.13 MiB) Viewed 970 times
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

It gets worse…..I noticed today I have Primroses in flower.
Oddly this morning it was a couple of degrees above freezing when I got up at 6:30 but when I went into the garden at 9:30 there was a light frost and it was down to zero in both greenhouses. I have switched on the heating for tonight.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch