Schlumb. truncata

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Schlumb. truncata

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all , I was given this plant and it flowered (white) well before Christmas, and again well after Christmas. I have read it must be allowed to go dormant before I can take cuttings. Should I treat it as an Easter cacti, and if so when will it be ready to take cuttings. Thank you
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Schlumb. truncata

Post by habanerocat »

The Wiki page says:

Propagation: Both commercially and in the home, propagation can be achieved by using short pieces of stem, one to three segments long, twisted off rather than cut. Cuttings are allowed to dry for 1–7 days, forming a callus at the broken end, and then rooted in an open growing medium. Temperatures above 21 °C (70 °F) and up to 27 °C (81 °F) in long day/short night conditions speed rooting.

I'd go along with the above. They flower in winter but grow in summer. I've just stuck them down in the past and they root easy enough in a greenhouse over the summer.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi habanerocat, thank you very much for your info. I will wait for Late Sring or even Summer. Cheers
RayW
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by RayW »

I would also go with Summer for cuttings Eric.
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Late reply from me, Thanks Ray.