Help with this poor Echiveria

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Charlongo79
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Help with this poor Echiveria

Post by Charlongo79 »

Please can someone advise me if any of this can be saved? I went to feel the compost and the whole thing just came apart! I don't water it very often so not sure what has happened but some of the leaves started to look a bit wrinkly about a month ago. Thanks
Attachments
20240309_151205.jpg
20240309_151203.jpg
20240309_151158.jpg
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: Help with this poor Echiveria

Post by Herts Mike »

I think it may have gone to Echeveria heaven.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Looking at the white roots I think you may have a decent chance of saving this.

First of all you need to clean it up and make sure that there is no dead, black soggy parts left. Then I would place this, without compost, resting in a clay pot. In a week or so, if it hasn't got any more dark or black section, you can put the clay pot in a saucer and add a little water. The terracotta will soak up some water and encourage a load of new roots. When this happens you can repot into very well draining compost.

It might also be worth checking up the stem and in the compost for vine weevil larvae as this could be the cause of this with rot a secondary factor.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Ah yes. I misunderstood the pictures and thought 2 and 3 were what it used to be and 1 was all that was left.

In which case Ed is right about treatment.