Plant Labels

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Plant Labels

Post by topsy »

Hi all,

It is some time since the BCSS had any of its plastic labels for sale. we are hoping to remedy this.

Andrew Harmsworth in Shetland has been researching the possibilities and has found a company who can produce the labels to the specification of the last ones we offered but a little thicker:

Small T Shaped Labels, white. 35mm wide along the top side, 40mm top to bottom, 20mm tall on the main part.

They will be in packs of 100 and we do need to get a significant number of promises of orders in order to bring the cost of the labels to an acceptable amount and currently the quote is way too expensive.

Please contact me if you are interested and indicate how many labels you might be needing.

Suzanne Mace
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Plant Labels

Post by ianstrutt »

If this was just a one time thing and Assuming the price wasn’t too high, I’d buy 500-1000.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
Andyh
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Andyh »

A general question. Shouldnt we as a society discourage use of plastic labels or at least not be responsible for selling them? Is there a BCSS envonmental policy? Im not sure of the exact agument for and against but plastic doesnt last long and is known to cause pollution, wheras metal labels with printed labels can be easily reused for longer. There might be arguments pro and against regarding source of materials, production, transportation etc. Eg plastic labels made in uk may be less damaging to envirinment than metal labels made in far east.
Ive been using metal labels for about 8 years now and they are superior.
I think it would be similar to the peat or plastic pot argument.
If there are viable alternatives the BCSS should promote those.
Be helpful if someones researched this and I bet someone has!
Andy
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

I'll take at least 100, possibly more depending on price.

Andy,
I do use aluminium labels for my permanent labels but they're too big for seed sowing and too expensive to use for plants thay are swaps.

Hopefully if these are thick they can be reused?

Ed
Ed

BCSS member 53038
ianstrutt
Registered Guest
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by ianstrutt »

Andyh wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm A general question. Shouldnt we as a society discourage use of plastic labels or at least not be responsible for selling them? Is there a BCSS envonmental policy? Im not sure of the exact agument for and against but plastic doesnt last long and is known to cause pollution, wheras metal labels with printed labels can be easily reused for longer. There might be arguments pro and against regarding source of materials, production, transportation etc. Eg plastic labels made in uk may be less damaging to envirinment than metal labels made in far east.
Andy
More than happy to be corrected, but aren’t metal labels prohibitively expensive to be used in large collections?
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

Andyh wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 pm A general question. Shouldnt we as a society discourage use of plastic labels or at least not be responsible for selling them? Is there a BCSS envonmental policy? Im not sure of the exact agument for and against but plastic doesnt last long and is known to cause pollution, wheras metal labels with printed labels can be easily reused for longer. There might be arguments pro and against regarding source of materials, production, transportation etc. Eg plastic labels made in uk may be less damaging to envirinment than metal labels made in far east.
Andy
I think it's important to differentiate between plastic and single-use plastic. In my opinion it's fine to use plastic pots like BEF pots because they'll still be going strong in decades (and even then can be recycled).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
MaciejW
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY

Post by MaciejW »

ianstrutt wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm If this was just a one time thing and Assuming the price wasn’t too high, I’d buy 500-1000.
Similarly to Ian. Thanks.
Maciej
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Paul D »

ianstrutt wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm
More than happy to be corrected, but aren’t metal labels prohibitively expensive to be used in large collections?
ianstrutt wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm
I guess it depends on how long the collection is in existence ;) I used to use plastic labels, and depending on the brand, usually got between 1 year and 4 years use, in general, before they would break up. The trick was to catch them before they broke up and data was lost. For the last 20 years or so I have used aluminium labels, in around 5500 plants. I don't use them for my spares / sales table plants. An expensive outlay but, actually, cheaper in the long run. 20 years on there is no sign of any of the aluminium labels deteriorating, and coupled with the Brother P-touch label printer with labels that don't fade, I've got a solution I'm happy with.

label.jpg
label.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 419 times

p.s. we are working on completing a BCSS environmental policy and hopefully this will appear on the website soon.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

I agree with Paul - they're cheap over the years you have them and they last. I have snowdrops I labelled with these over 20 years ago still going strong.

If you also keep an eye on Amazon and Google then you often find there are decent deals on buying 200 or more every so often and I tend to buy a big batch then.

I go an extra step to make them inconspicuous by using black letters on clear tape. I put them name on the front and then the source and date I got it on the back.
PXL_20240329_101203241.jpg
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Flimsy plastic and the felt tip is starting to fade (you had to write your own names it only came with the number). But the 378 tells me the label and plant are at least 40 years old by mail from Windyridge 1984 list number 2. Both have served me well for the massive cost of 60 pence 😱🤣
20240330_114458.jpg
20240330_114536.jpg
20240330_114415.jpg
20240330_114433.jpg
20240330_114417.jpg
Acid John