Ferocactus buds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RayW
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Ferocactus buds

Post by RayW »

Three old Ferocactus plants are starting to bud up, first is F. glaucescens. The second plant is F. cylindraceus tortulispinus.
The third has always been labeled F. pottsii but I have my doubts on that name maybe the first flowers will give us a clue.
Attachments
Ferocactus glaucescens
Ferocactus glaucescens
Ferocactus cylindraceus tortulispinus
Ferocactus cylindraceus tortulispinus
Ferocactus  pottsii  ?
Ferocactus pottsii ?
Ray Woodbridge

Cacti only collection mainly grown from seed.
BCSS member 50155
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Ferocactus buds

Post by el48tel »

(tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Awaiting the flowers opening with interest. Should be a good show.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Ray, how do you find growing F. glaucescens? I've got a possibility to buy some big ones which I am very tempted to do. Not sure I could risk them outside, even here but for hot sun as well as cold. I've had a couple of feros in the ground here for a few years. One of them is F.stainesii which I've had for 20 years and it flowers to some degree every year but being outside here is tough and that's what it looks like!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

Patrick I always have to move the large F.glaucescens to the frost free greenhouse each year just to be safe.
I do have a small plant I grew from seed about 2012 and that gets left in a place that might just get to 0c on an odd night and it has been fine.
Ray Woodbridge

BCSS member 50155
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I have just spotted signs of a bud on my Ferocactus electracanthus. I’ve had this plant since I was a schoolboy, I’m over 60 and this will be the first time it’s bloomed, I think. Maybe that is related to me putting it outdoors last summer, for the first time.
RayW
Registered Guest

Post by RayW »

by Cidermanrolls » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 pm
I have just spotted signs of a bud on my Ferocactus electracanthus. I’ve had this plant since I was a schoolboy, I’m over 60 and this will be the first time it’s bloomed, I think. Maybe that is related to me putting it outdoors last summer, for the first time.

No it is they just take a long time to reach maturity, but then flower most years after that thankfully.
Ray Woodbridge

BCSS member 50155
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

RayW wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:48 pm Re: Ferocactus buds
by Cidermanrolls » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:17 pm

No it is they just take a long time to reach maturity, but then flower most years after that thankfully.
Yes my F.stainesii was a decent size when I got it 20 odd years ago and it's flowered every year for quite some years now
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.