Lechuza Pon

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JonNo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lechuza Pon

Post by JonNo »

Any advice please as to whether this is suitable for general use? Am thinking of trying something different to my usual John Innes No.2/ grit mix.
dragonadeniums
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lechuza Pon

Post by dragonadeniums »

I guess it depends on what you're growing...I've grown caudiciforms and a few succulents in it in the past and they were fine. The only problem with it is the price ! The molar clay options (kitty litter) are a lot cheaper.
The thing to remember with this type of potting medium is how often you need to water depending on your growing conditions (mine are warmer than usual so the pots dry out faster) and also any feeding as Pon has a 6 month supply built in (not sure if it's an appropriate feed for cacti) but after that you'd need to add feed to your own requirements.
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Interesting observations, thanks.

My plants are also "warmer than usual" (as they live in a centrally heated house) so what you say about the medium drying out more quickly is pertinent and useful to know. As regards feeding, I guess in the long run it is much the same situation as with using the John Innes no. 2. The Pon web site doesn't give much information as to what exactly is included in the mix, it just says "slow release fertilizer"...

I can only agree with you as regards costs, it is expensive! But my collection is small, and overall it probably wouldn't be a huge increase over what the John Innes costs - and presumably I wouldn't have to use top dressing with it..!

Thanks for the input.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Lechuza-pon "consists of high-quality zeolite, pumice and lava", so you can quite surely get the same results with moler clay, grit and pumice mix, or anything similar to that. I'd also prefer to control the fertilisation a bit better by using water soluble Chempak with desired NPK ratios.
Mat
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

Noted, thanks MatDz. I had problems (entirely of my own making) last year using Chempak, so feeding is an issue for me...
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

JonNo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:12 am Noted, thanks MatDz. I had problems (entirely of my own making) last year using Chempak, so feeding is an issue for me...
Use a quarter of what's recommended, and best to forget it from time to time anyway :mrgreen: I too overdid it a couple of times, can still see the odd leaves here and there on my Haworthias...
Mat
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

MatDz wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:08 pm
JonNo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:12 am Noted, thanks MatDz. I had problems (entirely of my own making) last year using Chempak, so feeding is an issue for me...
Use a quarter of what's recommended, and best to forget it from time to time anyway :mrgreen: I too overdid it a couple of times, can still see the odd leaves here and there on my Haworthias...
Useful, thanks Mat.