A coryphantha  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

A coryphantha

Post by Guest »

The cooler weather and (a suprisingly) well timed watering has brough my coryphanthas into flower, I have dozens all at once but this will do as an example. This is Coryphantha wohlschlagerii PM268 and is one of the strangest I have. It has an enormous tap root, you can just see the top, which is like a parsnip. Then a very narrow neck which eventually opens out into a normal plant. I am not brave enough to bury the neck. In winter the plant shrivels badly and lays down but it pops up again in the spring even before it is watered. The plant is about 12cm tall and in a 3 inch tall pot, this is needed to get the tap root in, actully there is very little compost in the pot.
I have two of these plants but only one is flowering this year, I got them 2.5 years ago from Germany when they had not really developed the adult spines.

Has anybody any experience of this type of plant.

Attachments
8A
8A (88.37 KiB) Viewed 5813 times

Re: A coryphantha

Post by Guest »

A picture of the flowers, I used a macro lens on my new digital SLR camera for this and it is my first attempt. It does show the value of the camera over my previous standar digital.

AntonyC
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by AntonyC »

Nice pics Bob, very sharp and clear.

Ant

Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Interesting plant and beautiful flowers! (and great pics too!!)

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: A coryphantha  Solved

Post by iann »

Very strange!

Cheshire, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Very Nice Bob, The plant with it's root and stem is not disimular to some of the Turbinocarpus.

What camera and lens have you got?

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Nice pics. what do you use to label your plants it looks better than pencil or pen.do they last longer than writing on labels

Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Süleyman
Registered Guest

Post by Süleyman »

Hi Bob,
Magnificient flowers and photos. Congratulations. I don't have this sp. (but it is on the way from Cactoo nowadays.) It is obvious that your treatment for this extraordinary plant is very appropriate. I note that C.wohlschageri is somewhat similar to C.pulleineana (see my photos in my site).
Regards

Post Edited (08-01-06 16:55)

Post by Guest »

Hi Bill,

I have a Canon EOS 350D the macro lens I am using is a Canon EOS Lens 60mm EF-S f/2.8 USM MACRO.
I have just invested in a tripod as well, to be delivered tomorrow hopefully.

Bill

Post by Bill »

Ah the replacement for the 300D which I have, very nice.

So is the lens, I must admit I had considered it, but it's a bit short for doing bugs etc, I am hoping to get the Sigma 150 macro.

At the moment I using a zoom lens and extension rings which isn't bad, but has it's limitations in that you can't use the lens for any thing other than macro work with the rings so it's a lot of faf taking them off and putting them back.

And if that shot was hand held at macro, then you should notice quite a difference with a tripod, remote release is handy as well, means you can go for small aperture, max depth of field and not have to wory about shutter speed.

Getting carried away here hope I am not being patronising.