ID please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
scousetigger
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

ID please

Post by scousetigger »

When I bought this one about a month ago from garden centre, it had lots of green leaves all along the length of the 'stems'. I put it in the ghouse and since then the leaves have shrivelled and fallen off gradually. Why? I have moved it under the bench in the shade now in case it doesn't like full sun.
AntonyC
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ID please

Post by AntonyC »

Hi,
Looks like another euphorbia but i'm not certain of the type.
Ant

Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
youngie

Post by youngie »

Hi,

It is one of the thousands of euphorbia.

I think it is normal for them to lose their leaves later in the year, they only grow on the new growth.

Regards

John Young.

Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Looks like E. Trigona, mine does the same with it's leaves! It usually grows new green leaves at the top of the stems (mine is MUCH smaller though!)

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Krister
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Krister »

Hi,
this is a Euphorba trigona, in Sweden called HighChaparal. If it stays in some shade the leaves wil stay on for a long time. In full sun theay wither very fast, and this is compleatly normal, the plant don't want to lose water.
I use to shower it when the leaves has withered, then they easyli goes of and the plant is nice again, use rainwather. I have my plant in full sun in the greenhouse. If it's not used to full sun, and they often don't, or it comes from a indoor room, then it have to get used to the full sun in some step.

The E. triangularus has it arms much more sparse and its treelike when it gets bigger. The leaves is very smal, and fall of after a short time.

Regards, Krister Persson
Skane, Sweden
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

Thanks Krister, I will give it a shower and see what happens.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Sue

With Euphorbia's they like more water than cacti so try watering a little more often

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

Thanks Tina, didn't realise how complicated its getting knowing the watering needs of different plants.