pot size ????

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jamesfe
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

pot size ????

Post by jamesfe »

When sowing cactus and succulents what kind of pot do you prefer? I have seed packs that have anywhere from ten seeds to twenty-five seeds per pack. I have been using 2 1/4 square plastic pots in the past, but now I have a almost unlimited supply of new 3 standard round plastic pots ,thanks to my daughter's find at a yard sale. The week between Christmas and New Years I',m planing a massive sowing of seeds. I know there is not much different, any thoughts.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: pot size ????

Post by Roy »

Hi,
the only thing I would do would be to divide the pot in half with a plant label laid on its side to enable me to plant two lots of seed in the same pot and make use of your extra space.
Member Bcss
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I can't see any problems, James. I prefer to sow, if I can get it right, the seed in the more central part of any pot, because I find even in plastic the edges dry out faster than the centre.

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I never have enough 2" pots so I sow in whatever I've got. Small lots of seed go in any 2" pots, larger lots in 3" pots, faster growing stuff in trays. 10-15 Lithops in a 2" pot works well, they don't need transplanting for a couple of years if you space them well enough. No point putting something like Tephrocactus or the larger Mammillaria in a 2" pot, I'd have to prick them out after three months and I'm way too lazy for that ;)

Cheshire, UK
jules

Re: source of 2 inch pots

Post by jules »

Anyone know of a cheap source of 2 inch plastic pots? Used to be quite easy to get in the High Street, now almost impossible to find.
Thanks
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Hah! I was wrong. I now have more than enough small round pots, including 2". From various sources including eBay and ex-nursery. Looking at the stacks it is easy to think I'll never need to buy a small pot again, but I have this habit of sowing just a tad too much seed 8-)

I don't have enough 2" square pots but I can at least get them almost whenever I need to, since Philip Barker is local.

Jules, this thread and this one will give some sources.
Cheshire, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

[quote=Ian]I don't have enough 2" square pots but I can at least get them almost whenever I need to, since Philip Barker is local.[/quote]

I know that feeling Ian, I had 100 off Philip at the NW Cactus Mart and I think I have about 15 left ::o

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Is Philip active then? I need some more pots and emailed him a while back - nevere got an answer so assumed he wasn't in business. I've lots of 2""square but need 3.5" ones now.
Can anyone send me his email, in case I used an out of date one?
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Post by Hob »

its in your pm box Chris(tu)
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england