Blossfeldia flower buds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ant
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Blossfeldia flower buds

Post by Ant »

Hi all,

Long time since I have posted on the forum, so I am starting off with this one.
This is my Blossfeldia that after looking high and low for one on its own roots, I found at the Havering cactus mart last year. Its just starting to show signs of flower buds (three pinkish blobs to the left of the apex) So I am going carry out a running progress report...
We'll see how they do!
[attachment 2988 Blossfeldiaflowerbuds.jpg]
Attachments
4Tm4RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA3AAAABsBBQABAAAA5AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAA7AAAADIBAgAUAAAAAAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAAD4XAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9
4Tm4RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA3AAAABsBBQABAAAA5AAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAA7AAAADIBAgAUAAAAAAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAAD4XAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9 (96.59 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Blossfeldia flower buds

Post by Phil White »

Hi Ant,
Good to hear from you again. Looks like you got one of my plants ?
You should also find it is self ferile so you will get seed as well.
In the pic, top right and top left are B. subterranea as you can see they have pods on them without any help from me.
Happy growing.
[attachment 2989 blossfeldias.jpg]
Attachments
8QAHAAAAQUBAQEAAAA
8QAHAAAAQUBAQEAAAA (88.17 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Oh no.. another plant for my wants list!

They do stay tiny, don't they?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Trevor
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Trevor »

Hi guys, can you give me an idea of how fast (or slow) these little guys are when they're on their own roots ??
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

There was a thread here http://www.bcss.org.uk/forum/read.php?1,36240,36280 some time ago that you might want to read.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ant
Registered Guest

Post by Ant »

Hi all,
I'll be looking forward to any seed pods that form, fingers crossed!
Trevor-they're incredibly slow, apart from a few paler new areoles at the top, there seemed to be no determinable change in the plant last year. I did keep it very dry mind you, Blossfeldia like some moss and selaginella sp. can almost completely dry out and go into a suspended animation until water returns.
I'm on the hunt for Blossfeldia forms (preferably on their own roots) and a number of the dwarf cacti, I have managed to propagate quite a few copiapoa lauii recently and now have about five clumps on their own roots.
P.S. They're beautiful plants Phil, mine seems to be alot greyer in colour, does it vary between plants? I have seen some that are nearly black.
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

I have grown this Blossfeldia since 1992 when it was a half inch across in the same 2 inch pot. It has never been repotted but has grown steadily and flowered each year.
[attachment 3000 IMG_3332.JPG]
Attachments
4R+URXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4R+URXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (98.51 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

Here you can just see another offset poking out of the epidermis and what looks like a flower bud on another offset!!
[attachment 3001 IMG_3333.JPG]
Attachments
4SWSRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4SWSRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (98.03 KiB) Viewed 1660 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

That's interesting John! It's actually splitting through the skin!

Ant, please post more pics when the flowers do open!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Quite a few plants do that Maria, I've seen Lophophora and Echinocereus do it an I'm sure other genus also do.