Flowers?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
saxocactus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Flowers?

Post by saxocactus »

I bought a mammillaria last year and it flowered wonderfully, a complete triple ring of light purple flowers. so far this year nothing at all, not even a sign of any buds. What have I done wrong?
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
Hob
Registered Guest
Branch: SOUTH NORFOLK

Re: Flowers?

Post by Hob »

if it was kept indoors in a centrally heated house over winter it was probably too warm to have a winter rest period without which a lot of cacti will not flower.
hob BCSS 49009 member of the south Norfolk branch
suffolk england
saxocactus
Registered Guest

Post by saxocactus »

thanks
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

It's still only April, too. Can you remember when you bought it? Although there's loads of Mammillaria photos being posted on here there are still plenty of plants that are not even thinking about it yet.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Funnily. mine has gone to sleep after making quite a few flowers over the winter. ::o
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Which species, Julie? Every species has its preferred time to flower, often modified by the treatment they get in our climate. For example, M. hahniana likes to flower in winter but flowers in spring if you keep it cool and dry all winter.
Cheshire, UK
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I acquired a Mammillaria backbergiana around 28 March this year and it had no sign of any buds, but now there is a triple ring of buds about halfway towards opening. Most of my plants indoors are taking a long time to wake up this year and I'll just have to be patient. Some will be going into the greenhouse soon and that should help with growth and flowering

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Mine's a gracillis Arizona snowcap. It lives on a west facing windowsill which gets temps of 15 on winter days to 30+ today. At least I guess so... the room was 26 and the plants were behind the closed curtain.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Arizona Snowcap flowers right through the winter indoors, and takes a break in summer. If you keep them outside, and they are pretty hardy, then they'll have a go in the autumn or the spring, or both.
Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Aaaah.. so it thinks it's summer. And yet I watered it.. surely in habitat it would get more water in the winter and just about none in summer?

Maybe it's confused.. :)