Thelocactus today

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Thelocactus today

Post by Guest »

Is the Thelo. conothelus albiflorus the same as saussieri v albiflorus? Looks very much like mine under that name although I have 2 plants one of which has quite a pinky flower but the other is pure white.

Mike.
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

Vic

multicephalus is shown in the New Cactus Lexicon and was described in 1999 but has been known of for some time

From the Thelocactus web site

it says

"It is one of the last taxa that have been described, even though this entity has been known in Europe for some time. At the type locality it is often clustering, forming small clusters, and thus the name. It is found however also in several locations more to the south, down to Matehuala in San Luis Potos?. In these localities it has single, depressed stems. It is a beautiful species, with depressed or globose stem, sometimes clustering, of a blue-green marbled colour, completely divided into tubercles. The spines are not differentiated into centrals and radials, and they are variable in length. The flowers are generally white, rarely pinkish. This species may easily be confused with Thelocactus rinconensis, especially the form with depressed stem known as phymatothelos, from which it can be distinguished by the different stem colour, the absence of ribs and the different anatomy of the epidermis. In fact, multicephalus has only one hypodermal layer, while all the taxa belonging to the rinconensis complex have a multi-layered hypodermis."

It looks a bit like rinconensis I guess so a few folks may have it and not realise.

Its been offered comercialy for a few years (Graham Charles had a few for sale last year) and this plant came from Panarotto in Italy.

I also have a form with less spines will get a picture today
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
Martin
BCSS Member

Post by Martin »

Mike

Yes it is a syn of conothelos

Saussieri is a name referable to the plants with depressed globose stem growing around Matehuala, in Nuevo Le?n and San Luis Potos?. There are no other differences from the type.
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Some lovely flowers there. Thanks for posting. (tu)
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Thanks Martin! It's got fantastic spines. One to look out for when I pop over to Belgium/Holland next week.
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

Hi Martin
This is the plant that I snatched from under your nose at Ingo Breuers. The name on the label was Thelocactus krainzianus which the NCL shows under Thelocactus tulensis.
John E
[attachment 3240 IMG_3428a.jpg]
Attachments
4SltRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4SltRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (98.54 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
Martin
BCSS Member

Post by Martin »

John

Thanks for reminding me ! It has a nice flower shade for a Tulensis and quite large

Tulensis is normally a dull off white and not too large a flower.

I did find another one but it was a miserable plant so I left it !!

I have a few of these seed grown from BCSS seed list a year or so ago so hopfully in a few years when they flower they will be like the picture !
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Fantastic selection!
Anyone got any flower pics of T. phymatothele?
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Martin
BCSS Member

Post by Martin »

Maria

I posted one in my series

The 5th picture.

This is quite a nice one they tend to be a little paler
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

Hi Maria . This is a pic of my Thelocactus rinconensis var. phymatothelos
[attachment 3395 IMG_3432a.jpg]
Attachments
4Sq2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4Sq2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (99.48 KiB) Viewed 1629 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!