John Innes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ChrisR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

John Innes

Post by ChrisR »

I mostly use JI No.2 or 3 with added grit and Tesco Premium Cat Litter for my potting compost. I adjust the mix by adding more or less of the grit and TPCL, depending on the sensitivity to over-watering of whatever plant I'm potting up. It works for me.

I'm familiar with the mixes and recipes for JI composts, but would be interested to know other growers experiences of different manufacturers.

It annoys me that with those I've tried thus far, I always have to put the JI through a sieve to get rid of the rubbish - and this is (I'd estimate) 20% of the bag in some cases.

I've tried;

GEM - rubbish. Weeds germinated in the bag, lots of coarse stuff and big 'orrible lumps. Plants didn't like it either.

ARTHUR BOWERS - not much better than GEM.

LEVINGTON - better. No weeds, still coarse, larger lumps - and what's described on the bag as "gravel" is actually small/medium pebbles.

WESTLAND - best. Fewer lumps, finer and less gravel. Least waste.

So if you're a JI user, which brand do you use?

And do these manufacturers have to be licenced by the JI Institute to use their formula and if so, does the Institute ever check the quality?
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: John Innes

Post by Vic »

I use Goundrey's Chris. It's superior to the likes of some of those you have mentioned. Really good stuff and doesn't need sifting. Cheap too. They produce/supply a lot of other stuff such as cornish grit etc. I recently popped over there just the other side of Banbury and bought 5 bags of JI2, 5 bags of grit and a huge sack of perlite all for ?27. They do deliver.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Westland is the best I've found but it still has some chunks of matted peat and wood.

John Innes Manufacturers Association
Cheshire, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

To be quite honest, I am not sure what mine is but I have a a feeling it's westland.

As far as I am aware there is no control on the use of JI recipes and if I remember correctly the ingredients in the original recipes were Loam, peat and sand in varying proportions for the seed. cutting and potting mixes and 1,2 and 3 only differ by the amount of fertilizer in them. Note no grit.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

A recommendable John Innes

Post by Lindsey »

There's a Roffey JI2 that I have bought from Wisley sales area for several years. Nice and loamy, I wouldn't use any other compost for my mesembs (I add various amounts of fine or coarse grit or sand, depending on what I am potting up). However, this year there seem to be a few more bits of decomposing old plant than previously, which I pick out as I mix up the compost by hand. I'm finding things that wouldn't be encountered in habitat by a little Lith.... sorry, off topic, Chris! :D
Ever hopeful, trying to grow plants from arid sunny climates in the UK!
Lithops, Haworthia, Adromischus, other south African succulents including Ceropegia and some Crassula.
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by ChrisR »

One thing I've noticed already from the few replies rec'd, is that it must depend on what part of the country we are, as to what brand is available.

Up here, I've never seen or heard of Goundrey's or Roffey.......

Chris
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Chris,

Goundrey usually advertise in the BCSS Journal. I use their JI, sand and grit and am happy with the quality.

Aloenut
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

I also use Goundrey's as advertised in the Journal.

Having tried most all other suppliers from Garden centres Goundrey's is by far the best quality and consistency.

Also if you can collect from them and tell them you are from the BCSS you will get it at trade prices so about half the cost from a garden centre at about ?1.50 per bag !!!

They are located in Enstone Industrial estate about 10 minutes west of Oxford near Blenheim Palace

See

Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

I use 'Tunstall' John Innes which seems pretty reliable and doesn?t need sieving.
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Like Martin says Chris, I went to collect it from Goundreys, didn't mention BCSS but did say it was for cacti and I got it at trade price. I've just looked and the perlite is 100 litres (?9.13). I think a small 5 litre bag in the gc's is around ?3 or so although I used to by it from Wilkos for ?1.25 but you certainly can't beat Goundreys price - excellent value.