John Innes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: John Innes

Post by Julie »

I use bits of terracotta to cover the holes. If I can't find any, or anything to break :D then I'll go for the flattest pebble from the moat round the conservatory.

I've seen my mother religiously cover the bottom of outdoor containers with big stones about 1 inch across like driveway covering. Surely the soil will work it's way down into the gaps, and then you're left with the drainage properties of the potting medium alone.

Btw thanks Chris for the long post.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

[quote=Julie]I've seen my mother religiously cover the bottom of outdoor containers with big stones about 1 inch across like driveway covering. Surely the soil will work it's way down into the gaps, and then you're left with the drainage properties of the potting medium alone.[/quote]

Yep, it does not work at all as far as I am concerned.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Limy

Post by Limy »

Your Absolutely right on here Chris I have read much over here on your same point of view.However, I used to crock pots in the old days.

John Rose .

Northern Cal