Some choice smaller Mammilarias in flower

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Some choice smaller Mammilarias in flower

Post by David_L »

Some of my favourite Mammillarias are coming into bloom now. L1186A is one of the best of several large flowered forms of Mammillaria glassii ssp. ascensionis. Mammillaria saboae ssp. saboae is the easist to grow and flower of the saboae group but when those flowers are all out it will be quite a sight, and mine's still a small plant compared to some I've seen at shows. Mammillaria deherdtiana, but I'm not sure if it's maybe ssp dodsonii. I have another plant labelled Mamm. deherdtiana dodsonii, also in bud that looks remarkably similar. Anyway lovely clear purple flowers and rather shy to flower. Finally a really nice large flowered form of the very variable Mamm. coahuilensis, lacking a central spine.
[attachment 3236 Choice_mamms.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEABENDQ0ODRMODhMbEg8SGyAYExMYICIXFxgXFyIjHB8eHh8cIyMpLC4sKSM4ODw8ODhBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBExISFBYUGRUVGRgUFxQYHhgaGhgeLB4eIR4eLDkpIyMjIyk5MjYuLi42Mj4+OTk
2wCEABENDQ0ODRMODhMbEg8SGyAYExMYICIXFxgXFyIjHB8eHh8cIyMpLC4sKSM4ODw8ODhBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBExISFBYUGRUVGRgUFxQYHhgaGhgeLB4eIR4eLDkpIyMjIyk5MjYuLi42Mj4+OTk (99.55 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
David_L
BCSS Member

Re: Some choice smaller Mammilarias in flower

Post by David_L »

Some more choice small Mamms. Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. lasiacantha WM 941 trying to get in on the competition for smallest flowering cactus. This ones about 1.5cm across since it plumped up. Mammillaria lenta, pretty and quite easy to grow touch wood.No apologies for another picture of glassi ascensionis. This is the Dulces Nombres form. Finally Mammillaria schiediana ssp. giselae ML677. Even small plants of this pretty species flower freely. I have spares of this one on my swaps list if anyone is interested.
[attachment 3237 Choice_mamms2.jpg]
Attachments
2wCEABALCwsMCxAMDBAYDw0PGBwVEBAVHCAXFxcXFyAfGBsaGhsYHx8kJikmJB8xMTU1MTFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBEQ8PEhQSFhMTFhURFBEVGhUXFxUaJhoaHRoaJjIjHx8fHyMyLC8pKSkvLDY2MjI
2wCEABALCwsMCxAMDBAYDw0PGBwVEBAVHCAXFxcXFyAfGBsaGhsYHx8kJikmJB8xMTU1MTFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBEQ8PEhQSFhMTFhURFBEVGhUXFxUaJhoaHRoaJjIjHx8fHyMyLC8pKSkvLDY2MjI (94.8 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
David

Bromley Branch
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I like them all :) I don't have them all :( Yet ;)
Cheshire, UK
saxocactus
Registered Guest

Post by saxocactus »

Where can I get hold of M.saboae saboae? what a gorgeous plant.
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Yes it is dodsonii David.

Very nice btw!!
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Mike »

Great plants and great pics - thanks for sharing them, David
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Mammillaria saboae ssp. saboae isn't too difficult to track down as it offsets freely. Try John Pilbeam here http://www.cactus-mall.com/connoisseurs ... index.html Saxo.
David

Bromley Branch
Martin
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Vice-Chairman

Post by Martin »

It may be easy to find saboae but I find keeping the red spider off it is a different story !!
Martin
Northern Hampshire
Secretary Oxford Branch
'Thelocactus' National Plant Collection
David_L
BCSS Member

Post by David_L »

Yes I'm afraid mites love it. Only answer is keeping a regular programme of prophylactic spraying for this and other soft bodied plants. Misting regularly with rain water helps, especially in warm weather though I find most bad attacks are in Winter when the plants aren't under such close monitoring.
David

Bromley Branch
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

They are all beautiful David!! Thanks for posting!
Please do post a picture when the saboae is in full swing!! ;)
It looks as though it will be spectacular!!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!