The story so far.... (hope it's no too O/T...)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

The story so far.... (hope it's no too O/T...)

Post by Maria J »

I saw that in the 'missing rain' thread, some of you were asking how it was going!

So here we go!!

Monday I spent the day taking apart the 8 x 6 shed that was on the space where the greenhouse was going.
It was hard work, especially with lots of enormous spiders hindering things!!

The shed had been put on 12 x 2' square slabs, but they weren't particularly even so I spent the best part of Tuesday and Wednesday morning taking them up, trying to level the ground beneath with sand, putting a layer of weed guard, and laying the slabs back down. I had to take them back up 3 or 4 times to get it right which was exhausting!! Plus when I did start to get them level, I was 1" too far up so the last one wouldn't fit in the space... My fault, should have started the other way!! The greenhouse was duly delivered on Tuesday so I was excited about getting it up!

So Wednesday afternoon, I got the metal base out of the box and discovered to my horror that an 8 x 6 greenhouse is in fact 8'5" x 6'4"... So the base I had prepared was too small!!! (Due to the layout of the garden, the base with the slabs on is about 4" high as there is a step up half way up the garden...)

My Dad popped over to have a look at my 'problem' and we decided together that the best option was to add an 'extension' to the base. (I work with my Dad so we can't take time off together, otherwise he would have helped!)

One thing always inevitably leads to another, and by adding another 30 cm to the long side of the base meant that I had to remove a trellis with a rampant clematis and two vicious pyracanthus bushes... That took most of yesterday afternoon and this morning!! (The trellis [erected by the previous occupants] was held by two 18" metal spikes with wooden posts in. It took me best part of an hour just to get those out!!!)
Anyway, that done, I realised that the hole left by the trellis and plants was equivalent to 2 slabs, (the rest is already covered in slabs) so I used more sand to pack the hole down and put two slabs down... It's actually now better as I can walk from the carport at the end of the garden to the house without having to go around the trellis!

I found plenty of bricks around the garden (They left a lot of junk behind although some of it is useful!!) and bought some ready mix concrete, and having never done anything like it before, have concreted in the bricks so that tomorrow I can fill the 'space' with rubble and sand. Once level, I'll put some 'half' slabs down and THEN start on the greenhouse...

The concrete takes 24hrs to set, but hopefully it will be hard enough in the morning for me to carry on!!

So that's where I'm at!! A very condensed version of events... My cacti will just have to hold out a little longer in the house!

Although I had hoped to have the GH up by now, I've had an excellent week weather wise and would rather spend extra time getting the base right.

One thing that I was really lucky with is the shed!! I had been a bit worried about how I was going to get rid of it as although it's 'ok', I didn't think it good enough to sell! BUT! The person who delivered my GH asked what I was doing with it, so he's now coming tomorrow after work to collect it!! He's quite prepared to 'do up' the bits that aren't perfect so he's happy and so am I! :D

Pictures will follow eventually! ;)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Bill
Branch: None

Re: The story so far.... (hope it's no too O/T...)

Post by Bill »

I don't know Maria it's now the 19th and you are saying it's still not up (:D

Sounds like you have had fun, std horticultural glass is 24" wide, so few greenhouses are exactly a mutiple of 24" wide or long.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
saxocactus
Registered Guest

Post by saxocactus »

sounds like a woman on a mission to me - only have a greenhouse in my head so far
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

The foundation is the hardest part, and something always makes it harder than you expected! Make sure its as flat as you can conceivably manage!

Bricks?

Whenever you need to get rid of something, consider Freecycle. No good to you will be just what someone else is looking for. Except that you already found that someone without posting to freecycle :)
Cheshire, UK
Bill

Post by Bill »

Give and get lots of stuff from Freecycle, in fact nearly all the stuff to build my propagator has come from there.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Sounds like a lot more work than originally planned!

Still, the base only needs to be done once, and the greenhouse itself erected only once, and then you've many years ahead of enjoying the plants which are enjoying the greenhouse!

Piccies please? :D
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Freecycle sounds great & I will bear it in mind in the future!
Pictures will follow Julie, perhaps at the weekend.

If I can get organised enough tomorrow with the rest of the slabs, I'm hoping I can get cracking on the GH at the weekend...
but I'll see how it goes tomorrow first!
Bill, I've got a polycarb one as my garden is adjacent to the road (cul-de-sac) and the kids were always kicking the ball into my garden (I say 'were' as the worst culprits have moved now!! :D)

Serena, needs must with far too many cacti in the house now! Good job I don't share it with anyone!! ;)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
saxocactus
Registered Guest

Post by saxocactus »

I've been meaning to get onto Freecycle for ages - am now trying to sign up - some way through the application process now - jsut waiting for confirmation. Have spent a happy evening potting up a selection af cacti which arrived in the post today. some for a plant stall at church and some for ME!
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Things never go quite according to plan Maria, something always comes up. I remember when I erected one of my ghouses that the company who supplied it hadn't put the right parts in one of the boxes, ended up with 2 lefts instead of 1 left and 1 right part for the roof, so I had to ring them and they sent the correct parts by post etc. etc..

Anyway it sounds like your doing a fine job and making sure everything is right, as Julie says it only needs doing once and you may aswell get it right the first time.

Good luck with the rest. Look forward to the pics!
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

MMM i remember the first and last time i bought a new g/h, it was from B&Q - i ordered an 8 x 10, and got an 8 x 10 delivered, but with an 8 x 12 base. B&Q bless `em, agreed to swap the g/h for an 8 x 12.
NIck