The story so far.... (hope it's no too O/T...)

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: The story so far.... (hope it's no too O/T...)

Post by Guest »

Maria.

When it is next dry run some gutting repair sealent round the base inside and out that will stop the leaks.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks Bob, yes I think I'll do that! Any 'make' in particular or will any do?
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!

Post by Guest »

Maria,

You can also use frame sealant if the surfaces are clean and dry, this is less messy to use but probably not as good.

I think any make is ok.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Bob, do you mean the black tarry stuff that comes in a tube like silicone?
Cheshire, UK
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Maria; I suggest that you go to your local market and buy a sealant application gun and three cartridges of clear silicone sealant Make sure they give you the plastic nozzles. Don't pay B & Q prices - the gun and cartridges should cost about ?1.00 each.

As Bob says, pick a dry day and apply a neat bead of sealant around the edges, inside and out. It will be touch dry in about one hour and fully cured overnight.

If you are left with a part used cartridge, seal the end of the nozzle for use another time. Handy stuff!
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Be warned not all silicone is equal some of the pound a tube jobs will be pealing of in months.

For sealing the frame to the ground as Bob says use frame sealent or Gutter sealent, both are designed for the job. Gutter sealent has a better stick factor, but many don't cure, frame sealent does not stick quite as well but does form a skin.

What you should have doen of course was put the sealent under the frame and then fixed it down ;)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks everyone! (tu) I'll have a look around and see what looks most suitable!
Yes, it would have been easier doing that way Bill! Never mind!
I'll remember for the next one! ;)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!