Rain can't stop the flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Rain can't stop the flowers

Post by iann »

Three drops of rain this morning, three more forecast this afternoon, but Fenestraria rhopalophylla braves it all. In a greenhouse ;)
[attachment 3320 rhopalophylla6.jpg]
Attachments
8QAGwAAAgMBAQEAAAA
8QAGwAAAgMBAQEAAAA (85.31 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Cheshire, UK
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Re: Rain can't stop the flowers

Post by David_L »

Looks like you've been watering that. Isn't it their rest period?
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

[quote]Isn't it their rest period?[/quote]

Apparently not ;)

Fenestraria grow strongly in both spring and autumn. I water them year round, there is nothing to be gained by allowing them to shrivel up either during a winter drought or a lengthy baking summer dormancy. They are often described as a winter grower and there are reasons to expect they would be completely opportunistic and grow whenever temperatures are moderate, light is good, and some water is available, but they do appear to show a distinct mid-winter pause even under lights.

This one is growing particularly strongly. It is an old plant which had been somewhat neglected, you can still see some of the old slightly yellow leaves. All the new blue-green leaves have grown in less than a year.
Cheshire, UK
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Ian: have you encountered no problems using that 'Autumn Gold' top dressing?

Many of my plants seemed to stop growing until I replaced it with alpine grit type when repotting. I couldn't get rid of it soon enough when I identified the problem and now the plants seem much happier.
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

It is actually Supamix Alpine Gold but it is a flint-based grit which should be similar to Autumn Gold. I test all new substances for pH and any strong carbonate reactions before I use them on my plants.

I haven't noticed any problems. Not every plant is in the same top dressing but I can guarantee that a good proportion of those that are in it are showing good growth. Here is an example that you might appreciate.
Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

What a beauty! I love those leaves.. they look like eyes all watching what goes on around.

And love the daisy flower.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Peter
BCSS Member

Post by Peter »

Ian: show me a Copiapoa and I sure will appreciate it!