Your favourite Aloes and Agaves ???

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rpw53
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Your favourite Aloes and Agaves ???

Post by rpw53 »

The three amigos, all Agave desmettiana...
The light one on the left is 'Joe Hoak'.
Peyton
[attachment 3467 desmettiana.jpg]
Attachments
4SH+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAGoHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTgwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ
4SH+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAGoHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTgwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ (99.85 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
rpw53
Registered Guest

Post by rpw53 »

Agave guiengola...
Peyton
[attachment 3468 guiengola.jpg]
Attachments
4SH+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAGoHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTgwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ
4SH+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAGoHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTgwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ (92.16 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
rpw53
Registered Guest

Post by rpw53 »

Here's a view of my largest outdoor planting, mostly Aloes and Agaves, but a few other things as well...
Peyton
[attachment 3469 agavebed.jpg]
Attachments
4SP+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAGoHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTgwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ
4SP+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAAGoHAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTgwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ (97.97 KiB) Viewed 1967 times
Colin Walker
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Peyton,

Your A. gypsophila looks great. Mine is about the size of the offset at the front of your large rosette. Seems from your plant that this pups readily. How big would you say your largest rosette is, roughly?
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Peyton,

Your outdoor plantings look brilliant. I'm dead jealous.

I've got some plants outside but they're all in pots and need to be relocated into the greenhouse during the winter.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Peyton
They are lovely but I'm seriously Jealous, like the werlei
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Can I join the jealous gang too, that's fantastic Peyton.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Trevor
BCSS Member

Post by Trevor »

Great stuff Peyton !
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

What's the big green Aloe(?) in the centre of the last pic?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
rpw53
Registered Guest

Post by rpw53 »

Colin,

My gypsophila was roughly 36" (91cm) across when the pic was taken last summer - unfortunately I was caught unprepared for an early hard freeze last fall and was unable to cover these plants in the 20 mph+ winds at 27F and now that same gypsophila is about 24" across but recovering nicely.

BTW I used to put all my plants indoors for the winter too, with everything outdoors in pots for the summer. About seven or eight years ago thieves stole almost all of my plants one night, and as I began to rebuild my collection I decided to start planting stuff in the ground thinking they would be harder to steal that way. I was pleasantly surprised by how much better most plants grew in the ground beds rather than in pots, so now I have seven outdoor beds in the front yard and nothing more has been stolen...
I also built a greenhouse in the backyard after the big theft, so it stays full most of the year now.

Tina,
The feeling is mutual, as I have been coveting a little "OHI RAIZIN" like yours for years.... Agave werklei does not pup, and rather than wait for bulbils on a flower spike I am considering cutting one up for propagation, so if you ever want to trade a pup....
Your utahensis is really great - I find these very difficult to keep alive here, even in the greenhouse.

Phil,
The big green one is Aloe vanbalenii last summer - when I planted it in this new bed it went nuts and is now about two meters across. This past winter it made seven flower spikes:)

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments!
And I really enjoyed seeing all the agave pictures everyone posted.

Peyton
[attachment 3471 vanbalenii.jpg]
Attachments
4TAGRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAWAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAACILAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgUzMgSVMAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ
4TAGRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAWAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAoAAAABsBBQABAAAAqAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAsAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAxAAAACILAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgUzMgSVMAAAAAAAAAAAAAALQ (81.92 KiB) Viewed 1967 times