Taking Pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
DaveW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Taking Pictures

Post by DaveW »

Interested whether you need to correct the light balance in post processing with that set-up or does the cameras white balance cope with it OK?

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

No copes quite adequately, the lights aren't normal flourescents but proper grolights, they are what I use for raising seedlings.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Lovely pics!

I have not progressed beyond autofocus, but it likes to choose the thing at the centre to focus on, so I put the pod / flower / thingemy in the middle of the little screen.

To really see if it's in forcus or not, the laptop screen would be the best way. Trying to get perfect focus on a fiddly little screen (let alone with a rocking button) must be murder.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi Julie

With most digi-cams you can focus by half press then re-compose the image and fully press to take the shot, that way your main object can be in focus but not unnecessarily central to the image.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Bill, I have tried and tried that. No matter how timid I am on the button, it takes a picture. 8-)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.