Mammillaria guelzowiana

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Re: Mammillaria guelzowiana

Post by Phil Hocking »

It just gets better and I reckon the flowers are even bigger!

Somerset Phil
[attachment 5010 guelzo_1a.jpg]
Attachments
4SBTRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAWAA8BAgAKAAAAFgEAABABAgAIAAAAIAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAKAEAABsBBQABAAAAMAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAQAAAAOAEAADIBAgAUAAAASAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAANAIAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAQAAAASkBQABAAAAXAEAAAW
4SBTRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAWAA8BAgAKAAAAFgEAABABAgAIAAAAIAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAKAEAABsBBQABAAAAMAEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAQAAAAOAEAADIBAgAUAAAASAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAANAIAAAGkAwABAAAAAAAAAAKkAwABAAAAAAAAAAOkAwABAAAAAQAAAASkBQABAAAAXAEAAAW (73.58 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

It's gorgeous Phil! One of my buds is near opening now! Hopefully it will happen at the weekend!!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

I hope so Maria - there's nothing worse than having them open while you're at work. I'm in favour of a five day weekend and a two day working week myself but I can't see it happening somehow!

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I have a couple, one named f. robustior seems to have bigger flowers than the other, though the plant isn't that much bigger - yet - at least. But it has to be amongst my list of top Mamms.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Lady Luck was with me and with the bit of sunshine we had Sunday, the flower finally opened!! Even after seeing the pics on here, seeing it 'in the flesh' still blew me away!!! The flower was HUGE!
(Plant in a 2" pot)
[attachment 5187 MammGuelz1.JPG]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (54.36 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Maria

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Another view (and 2 more buds on the way!) :woho:
[attachment 5188 MammGuelz2.JPG]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (62.51 KiB) Viewed 1161 times
Maria

Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

Fantastic Maria! Did you notice that your central spines are darker than mine? Must be a different clone.

Somerset Phil
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Actually Phil, it made me wonder if it was the same plant at all (before the flower opened!!)
Maria

Trevor
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Trevor »

Great flowers guys...

Not too sure how valid it is, but I have seen seed sellers offer a variety called "aurispina", which is supposed to be the lighter spined variety I think...
Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by David_L »

Maria's plant looks like Stephen Brack's collection of guelzowiana, SB465
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.