Mammillaria guelzowiana

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: Mammillaria guelzowiana

Post by Maria J »

Thanks David, I'll make a note of that!
I got it from Wendy & Richard Edginton.
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I'll make a new label for mine too.

Somerset Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by David_L »

Just a word of caution on trying to pin plants down to collection numbers. I've looked at my plants and another one, SB1160 also has the distinctive longer reddy gold spines. SB465 does look closer to your plant though Maria.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks David, I won't change the label, I'll just add a comment in the database!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

The red central spined form was the old original Mammillaria guelzowiana. The yellow central spined form was published as Mammillaria guelzowiana v. splendens by either one of the Lamb's or Neals (of the books and reference Plates) I can't remember which without looking it up. It is still offered in seed catalogues under this name, although we now generally accept plants can be variable in spine colour so names indicating spine variations are seldom used now.

This was my Mammillaria guelzowiana now departed because they are a bit tricky in my cold conditions over winter.

[attachment 5467 guelzowiana2.jpg]

DaveW
Attachments
8A
8A (98.27 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

Can't wait, I noticed i'd got two big fat buds on mine on sunday :D
Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts