Need a cheer up

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
David_L
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Need a cheer up

Post by David_L »

Not much in the way of flowers today so how about fruit? Almost a perfect circle, maybe a few more yet to poke through. Mammillaria haageana ssp. san-angelensis.
[attachment 4968 Mammillaria_haageana_san_angelensis_fruit.jpg]
Attachments
QUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUF
QUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUF (82.51 KiB) Viewed 918 times
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Lovely, David. I saw one similar to yours in a GC (not sure of the name - I tried to remember too many and forgot them all) and it had not quite as many chilli peppers on it as yours, but still one accidentally fell into the soil of a plant I was buying. ;)

It is now shrivelling a bit. What should I do with it - just cut it open and wash/dry the seed? Can I grow the seed at this time of year without a propagator?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
JazzFool
Registered Guest

Post by JazzFool »

Hi David

Love those Acanthocalycium flowers in particular. I have one (A.glaucum aka Echinopsis glaucina) about to flower. No idea what colour they will be, if they make it at all. The weather here in the UK is so bad, I can't recall having seen the sun for 5-6 days now.
Paul
Languishing in north London but dying to move to a more rural location
Harrow Branch Member
Copiapoas, Ferocacti, Neoporterias, Tephrocacti & John Coltrane (not a cactus) all hit the spot
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Yes Julie mine was a GC plant. You could plant seed this year and over Winter on a light window sill, with judicious watering to stop them shriveling beyond recovery, or you could save the seed till next year, or if there's enough in the pod, you could even try a bit of both!
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Wow, great displays of flowers! I love that A. violaceum!! I got one from cactology but no signs of buds...
Didn't know there was a white 'maddie' available!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Thanks, David. I opened up the chilli and there were 12 little seeds, which I rinsed in rainwater sowed in two neat little rows of six.. wearing my strongest specs. :)

Surface tension is NOT your friend when sowing little seeds. They were easier than Avonia quinaria though.. which are beyond my eyesight. I consider myself clever to have got them in the pot at all. ;)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.