Provado

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
saxocactus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Provado

Post by saxocactus »

OK. So I bought some of this and gave all my plants a good spraying because I found mealy bugs on one or two of those bought from a collection that is reducing in size. I also treated the affected plants with meths (outside in the fresh air). Have I done enough and was a general all-round spray the right way to apply the Provado?
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Provado

Post by David_L »

For root mealy prevention and treatment I use a formulation of Provado concentrate that you mix with water and then water into the soil in the pot. A couple of times, once early once late in the growing season to do this seems to give control of the pest.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Whichever type is used the results ought to be the same, if correctly applied, as the active ingredient is translocated throughout the plant. The only question is to how well it is absorbed by plants with thickish skins like many C&S. Empirical evidence suggests it's good enough. Root drench versions don't leave the plants looking greasy though.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
B.A.
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by B.A. »

Does anyone know if provado affects ants as i like them to clean me feros for me.?
Bruce
North Essex

Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Dirty feros from now on...
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hey Peter how do you keep yours clean ( Your Ferros) ? :D
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
B.A.
BCSS Member
Branch: CORNWALL

Post by B.A. »

Sorry old friends.!
Bruce
North Essex

Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Better a slippy Fero than a bug-ridden one...
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
David
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Zone Rep

Post by David »

Do any of you know whether Provado is still available as granules under the name "Pest Free"? My local garden centres were selling it two years ago, at ?5.99 for 55g, but did not stock it last year or this.

However, they are selling the same granules (apparently - 5% w/w imidacloprid) as Provado "Lawn Grub Killer", ten 3g sachets for just over ?12. That is four times as expensive as the granules used to be. Seems a swiz.

David Greenaway
Oxford Branch.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Nobody ever said that prices would remain low once Bayer achieved a monopoly of the pesticide market ;)
Cheshire, UK