carnegieae gigantea  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

carnegieae gigantea

Post by Guest »

Anybody know the growth rate of these from seed?

Mike.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: carnegieae gigantea

Post by iann »

Slow, at least compared to their ultimate size. Perhaps you'd consider them fast compared to a miniature Mammillaria or Ariocarpus ;)
Cheshire, UK

Post by Guest »

I know they are slow Ian but somebody has asked me height and time e.g. 2 foot in 20 years?
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I had a great time visiting some cactus and succlent collection in Holland this weekend. In one of them the guy had planted some specimens into a border in his glasshouse, inclduing two saguaro. Both were plants he had grown from seed 30 years ago - One was a double plant and around 2ft tall, the other was a monster single about 8ft tall. Both from the same batch of seed, given identical growing conditions. Weird!

I think the big one was an aberration, though. I was also fortunate to make a lightening trip to Arizona earlier this year and, whilst there, was speaking to a guy who been growing one in his garden since moving there 25 years earlier. In that time it had grown 3ft.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: carnegieae gigantea  Solved

Post by iann »

An inch or year is considered reasonable growth, although I'm sure you could do better in ideal conditions.
Cheshire, UK

Post by Guest »

Thanks Paul. Just what I needed to know.

Mike.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Yes slow - it's all going to depend on growing conditions - how much fertiliser/heat/exposure to sun/frequency of potting on etc.. You may be lucky and get 2ft in 20 years probably more chance of that if it's grown in the ground/raised bed in a ghouse with it's own root run. They're not particularly fast growing either in habitat where they get a much longer growing period/season than we do here in the UK, typically only branching around 70 years old.

Post by Guest »

Glad I'm not growing it then. Don't know why this person is so obsessed with it. Still, each to his own.

Mike.

Post by Guest »

Mike,

Slow, they do better in an open bed, if they have a free root run then the growth is about twice that in pots once they become established.
I would guess at a foot in 15-20 years in a pot.
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

I recently bought one from Southfields, 8" tall and a really spikey and chunky plant. Cost ?4.50 - a bargain for a plant that must be a good few years old.