Another ID - bit of a dud

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Another ID - bit of a dud

Post by MikeT »

This is a Dudleya from the cliffs on the Pacific coast highway, between LA & San Fransisco. Any ideas on the species? Pics taken in situ in the GH (too wet outside), apologies for the backgrounds
[attachment 5121 Dudleya1.JPG]
Attachments
4SBjRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4SBjRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (86.9 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MikeT
BCSS Member

Re: Another ID - bit of a dud

Post by MikeT »

..and the flowers
[attachment 5122 Dudleya2.JPG]
Attachments
4SEwRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA
4SEwRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAngAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtAAAABsBBQABAAAAvAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAnAAAAxAAAADIBAgAUAAAA9AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAACAEAAGmHBAABAAAAFAEAANYDAABGVUpJRklMTQAAAABGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20AAAAAAAA (80.77 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

The only Dudleyas I've seen along the Pacific Coast were 3 species in San Diego and yours Mike doesn't seem to resemble any from memory but I'll have a look at my photos tomorrow and see although I dare say it's probably entirely another species being quite a bit further north. I know you can find Dudleys near the Golden Gate Bridge but offhand can't remember the species.
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

The only one it does resemble is this one Mike - Dudleya lanceolata:

[attachment 5124 IMG_0740.jpg]
Attachments
8QAGwAAAgMBAQEAAAA
8QAGwAAAgMBAQEAAAA (97.08 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I think D. lanceolata too. D. farinosa also occurs along the coast. Where exactly was it found? Towards LA or SF?
Cheshire, UK
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

Update on this ID request. The plant came from Chris Rodgerson; it was originally collected on the Pacific Coast Highway (roadside rocky banks) between San Simeon and Big Sur. After putting the ID requuest in here, Chris contacted Steve Hammer, who contacted John Trager (curator of Huntingdon Botanical Gdns), who gives it as Dudleya cymosa ssp. cymosa.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

Blimey Mike that's a great way to get an id - you certainly don't mess about!
MikeT
BCSS Member

Post by MikeT »

Vic

Hope all the new Feros from the Sheffield plant sales are OK.

I asked Chris about the ID before posting here. I'll have to let him off supplying a plant without ID in the circumstances, can't really fault his sources!
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Vic
Registered Guest

Post by Vic »

Yes Mike the plants are very nice thanks. Only one Fero though and that was a small fordii, the rest were Echinocactus (Homalocephala) texensis, couldn't resist them at 60p - very nicely grown - hope I do them justice.

Suppose there's no harm in asking them at HBGs, if anyone knows they should!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

E. texensis seems easy enough, Vic. About halfway between E. grusonii and the impossible Echinocactus species :) Grows pretty fast too when its happy, so if yours don't grow you need to try something different!
Cheshire, UK