Cactus Habitat Trips

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
phil
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Cactus Habitat Trips

Post by phil »

Thanks for the info guys I will look further. I have been to Arizona independently to see habitat plants which is fantastic but I do feel that I am probably missing a lot through not knowing the area.
Maybe one day we can organise a forum habitat tour?
Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Ooooh! If there is a trip in the pipeline and I can get the time off work I'd be VERY interested too!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Probably be next spring now Maria, so start saving!
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by David_L »

As I said Vic, I would be interested and maybe my wife as well though she is more interested in birds, and general natural history and her salivary glands are stubbornly unstimulated by cacti!
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Hi Phil,
As Vic said I did joing a group going to Mexico. It was a French group (luckily I speak some French) which I found out about after a posting onto Cacti_etc. I went with them in 2005, flying via CdG to Mexico City, coupl eof nights there, and then off towards Tehuacan (4 nights) and Oaxaca (4 nights), then one night stop south of Mexico City (Mammillaria magnifica), another north at Teotehuacan (pyramids) and 4 nights near Meztitlan, before back to Mexico City and home.
We saw some great places, good cacti locations (check my web site for more details and lots of photos as well as travelogue), and of course I now have the GPS. I was glad I went with a group, although I now know that with decent GPS locations, the country is safe and the natives friendly. But you do need ot be fairly fit, and most plants can only be reached by hiking away from the roads and up hillsides, some of which are quite steep, and at altitudes ranging from 5000ft to over 9000ft. I did a fair exercise regime beforehand and still had a few problems with knees.

The group I went with in 2005, went back to do a Turbinicarpus location tour in 2006 and also Baja in 2007, but I wasn't able to join either of them because of conflicts with the dates. Also from my calculations, it seems to me from the pricing that these are being run on a more commercial basis, not what I'd call an enthusiast basis (each pays their own share).

Is there serious interest in a spring trip?, either to southern US states or in to Mexico? Arranging a US one would be easy - I've been to West Texas several times, recently to New Mexico,and as per earlier post, Vic knows a lot about Arizona and northern New Mexico (plus more I'm sure). Mexico is a bit more difficult, deciding where, and when, and flights and car hire are somewhat more expensive than in the US. If Mexico I'd suggest that the group should be large enough to justify two vehicles, just for back-up in case of problems in more remote areas.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html

Post by Guest »

One thing I would add if you are exploring Mexico especially if you go off the beaten track you ideally need a spanish speaker with you. It will prove invaluable in rural areas should anything go wrong.
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Like being kidnapped you mean??:lolbt:
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I have been to Mexico 'plant hunting' three times in the last 3 years, lucky me. Twice with just two of us, once with four of us. The last time with four was probably the most enjoyable, two was more flexible and less compromise - there are pluses and minuses. But it is totally brilliant - fly into Mexico City, pick up the hire jeep and drive into the sunset - it doesn't get much better than that.

I planned the itinerary for all three trips which is time consuming but immensely enjoyable - and there is now better way to learn about plants and habitat than pouring over type location data from original documents then going to see the plants at those very places.

I would second what Bob says - a Spanish speaker in the group is essential in case things go wrong. It is extremely rare to find any English speakers away from the big cities (and you will find the best stuff away from the big cities) and, although you'll get by on holiday Spanish for booking into the hotels and ordering food, anything more challenging will be a problem. A half-decent Spanish speaker can get you out of trouble especially if (when?) you get stopped by the police - negotiating your way through the bribing proceedure is easier and cheaper if you can hablas espanol.

I think a convoy of two vehicles with 8 people would be pushing it, though. A lot of the overnight stops will be in small desert towns and they may well not have 4 double rooms free. They might not even have 4 double rooms! And it would be a shame to only pitch up in larger towns as small Mexican towns can be unbelieveably quaint and querky. 6 people in 2 vehicles maybe. 4 in one was perfect.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

I would be most interested in Vics original suggestion of a Southern USA trip myself.
David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

I've always fancied hiring one of those big motor homes but they cost a bomb and drink fuel likes there's no tomorrow. Got to admit I really do like the SW USA, been 5 times now and want more. Mexico is a fascinating country with some superb plants and I would dearly like to travel there again one day with someone who knows the places to go etc. I remember returning back to Mexico City to drop off the hire car, found the city but could I find the hotel, drove around for ages, it all looks the same and is colossal, eventually I waved down a taxi driver and asked if I could follow him, then he couldn't find it, so he pulled over to ask a few other taxi drivers, no idea, then a policeman, whilst he was talking I dug around on the back seat of the car and found the map they'd originally given me at the hotel marked x (could of sworn I'd left it in the room), ah yes said the taxi driver follow me and we eventually got there, it so happened it was only a few blocks from where I'd originally waved him down.