Mammillaria ID please!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Mammillaria ID please!

Post by Maria J »

Have had a look on mammillarias.net and *think* that this could be a M. crinita, but whether it's a ssp crinita or ssp wildii I have no idea as they look quite similar to me! 8-)
What do you think please?
[attachment 5478 MammNOID.JPG]
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (90.99 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Mammillaria ID please!

Post by Chris43 »

That's a difficult one, Maria. But I'd go for ssp. crinita.

Pilbeam's book has the two subspecies, and he says that he regards wildii as just a regional variant. M. crinita itself varies an awful lot, at least a lot of names have been reduced into synonomy with it.

I've taken a look at the plants that I have under crinita, and if anything, the ones named as ssp. wildii are rather yellower spined and brighter green bodied than the others. The pictures in Pilbeam's book tend to support this as well. My plant also grows a bit taller than the others.

The NCL has three subspecies ssp crinita, ssp leucantha and ssp wildii, and does mention the variability of what is called crinita. I have a number of plants named as ssp. crinita, also a ssp. leucantha, which does look different, rather flat body, and a couple of ssp wildii. At least that's what the names on the plants were when I bought them or sowed seed of them.

I've seen what is named as ssp. wildii in habitat, and it does look very much like my ssp wildii plants, so I am reassured, now I come to recheck the photos, one of which is below.

[attachment 5479 M_wildii_Venados.jpg]
Attachments
8A
8A (74.66 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: Mammillaria ID please!

Post by Maria J »

Thanks for the info & photo Chris!
I agree, the ssp wildii looks quite a bit 'yellower' on that photo, so I'll label up with ssp crinita. (tu)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!