Greenhouse choice

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Peter
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Greenhouse choice

Post by Peter »

I have aluminium and wood greenhouses in my garden but when I move house soon I want one very large greenhouse.
I've been offered a Perity's traditional 20ft x 60ft (6.4m x 20.0m) wood greenhouse (new), also a Venlo (the type used in commercial growing with 3.0m sides). this used and ex Holland. Both are the same price.
Because of the size of the land at the property, appearance is not significant.
Has anybody had experience of growing in these types of large greenhouses and can offer comments to help me make the decision? I appreciate that wood is warmer, but it does bring maintenance problems.
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Greenhouse choice

Post by Paul in Essex »

Lucky man. I'd go Venlo. That extra volume would keep the temps more stable, plus the extra headroom means you could plant out all sort of stuff in beds and not worry about chopping it too quickly. And you have to say that the Dutch are master growers so use them for a reason.
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Being a Joiner I always used to make my wood greenhouses to my own design, but unless cedar they eventually go rotten so I would always go for aluminium now Peter. Timber does not survive well subjected to water in our damp climate, which is why everything external on houses has gone UPVC regarding windows, doors and facias now in the UK.

It is quite a chore having to repair a wooden greenhouse once it is stocked with plants and I do not think the extra area of aluminium glazing bars adds a lot to temperature loss because glass still predominates in both types of structure.

For a greenhouse that size, unless it is classed as Agricultural, that is a commercial undertaking, and in an agricultural area, you may need planning permission however, but your local authority can tell you if you do?

I enquired for my 12-6" x 18'-0" being in an urban area and I did not need it provided it was 5 meters away from the house.

Anybody thinking of putting up a large greenhouse or one close to the house see:-

http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/li ... ose%20.pdf

http://www.gloucester.gov.uk/Content.as ... 1&urn=2839

http://www.rochford.gov.uk/rochforddcin ... 0&smhp=870

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.

Post by Guest »

Peter,
I am selling my 34*8 including staging and air circulation system for ?1000.
saxocactus
Registered Guest

Post by saxocactus »

What are you planning for the old ones??
Not quite so new to cacti now - greenhouse up and running - a cactoholic is born!! Visits welcome - just get in touch.
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

Thanks to all who have contributed. Very much appreciated.

Dave: Useful links and good advice. No decision yet, but being realistic, given my listing as a moving Ancient Monument,I might develop rot before a wooden greenhouse does!
Bob: I am chewing over your offer. I wanted just one g/hse, but We shall see.....
Serena: I have an old 20 x 10 timber, which would be impossible to move, a 20 x 10 Hartley's Botanical, which I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy and a super 24 x 12 aluminium but which has the glass bedded onto the alu with silicone sealant (the thing was designed that way) and it could be that every pane of glass has to be smashed to demolish it.
I'm leaving them all to the purchasers of the house. Seems like a big skip job to me.