Article: Micranthocereus hofackerianus, a cactus with identi

Habitat, nursery/collection and show tours.
Süleyman
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Article: Micranthocereus hofackerianus, a cactus with identity crisis

Post by Süleyman »

Hi Marlon,
This is a great article and contains enormous knowledge for us. Especially, the DNA sequencing data is very valuable.Is it possible to expand the details of this DNA work?
Thanks.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

Hi S?leyman,

At the moment the results of the DNA phylogeny of Cereeae are still unpublished, and because it is not just my work but it involves the work of other colleagues I cannot discuss the results or comment about the details of some of the interesting findings that we have - that Micranthocereus hofackerianus was a Micranthocereus and not an Arrojadoa is just one of these interesting findings. The manuscript with the phylogeny is being preparared and hopefully will be published soon in a scientific journal. After that I will write a less technical review of the results for the general cactus community. And I will make sure to post them in here as well!

If you meant to expand the study of Micranthocereus hofackerianus in order to find out if it is a hybrid or not, yes I plan to undertake this study in the near future, but first I need to finish my PhD on Parodia - first things first :)

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Pity somebody does not do some DNA work on things like Yavia, Cintia and Eriosyce lauii to discover their nearest relations. Eriosyce lauii does not fit to happily in Eriosyce at the moment. Also Digitostigma to find out if it is an Astrophytum or what it looks more like, a bi-generic hybrid.

However, original hybridity may be the start of many now fairly stable lines of cacti?

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Marlon Machado
Registered Guest

Post by Marlon Machado »

[quote]
Hi Marlon,

How old are the seedlings, they look pretty vigorous and obviously germination rates are high.

Vic
[/quote]

Hi Vic,

I got a reply from Cyrill Hunkeler about when the seeds were sown:

Hello Marlon,

The seeds were sown at 26.10.06 under artificial lights during the wintertime. From March until now they are in the greenhouse, but in a half shady place. The seeds I received from Werner Uebelmann on a visit to him.

Ciao

Cyrill

Thus, the seedlings are just over a year old.

Cheers,
Marlon Machado.

Institute for Systematic Botany, University of Zurich, Zollikerstrasse 107, CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Hi Marlon,

Many thanks! They're certainly fast growers.
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

Cutting edge stuff! I look forward to the review!

Good luck with your PhD Marlon. (tu) Can I suggest not doing what I did, and leave the literature review until the last minute... there is nothing more dull than being stuck indoors with a stack of stuff you should have read, but haven't. ;)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Süleyman
Registered Guest

Post by Süleyman »

Hi Marlon,
I meant the DNA phylogeny of Cereae. It will be very nice if you inform us about this article after the publication. You know, it is very difficult to reach those special scientific periodicals.
However, it will be great the proving your hybridity theorem with nuclear DNA studies :)
I wish you good luck and success for finishing your PhD :)
cactom
Registered Guest

Post by cactom »

Hi all

I have to say that I have read the article with much interest, and I am impressed by many information included here on this species. I would be interested to know if the nectary of Micranthocereus hofackerianus has a diaphragm formed by the lowermost stamens. Such a diaphragm is a feature shared by Micranthocereus species (in a strict Backeberg's sense), and if it does, it would confirm the identity of the species as micranthocereus. Anyway, Micranthocereus or Arrojadoa, this plant is well worth of interest and cultivation.
Cheers
Tomasz

Polskie Towarzystwo Kaktusowo-Sukulentowe OKMKS
http://www.kaktusy-sukulenty.pl
Cyrill
Registered Guest

Post by Cyrill »

Hi folks,
the grafted seedling of Marlons Fieldnumber:
Micranthocereus hofackerianus MaM et al.750
Has firstly flowered from the middle of mai.
Is fertil with it self.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2489/386 ... 44df63.jpg[/img]

Cheers
Cyrill
Quid pro quo
cactom
Registered Guest

Post by cactom »

Hi Cyrill

Can you tell on what stock it was grafted, and the hight of the plant when it first flowered.

Cheers
Tomasz
Cheers
Tomasz

Polskie Towarzystwo Kaktusowo-Sukulentowe OKMKS
http://www.kaktusy-sukulenty.pl