Anybody for the Harrogate Show?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Dot
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Anybody for the Harrogate Show?

Post by Dot »

The Harrogate Flower Show is on from 14-17th April and this year celebrates the 100th Anniversary of the North of England Horticultural Society.

I'm going on Thursday and my first stop will be to see the display and sales stall put on by York Branch. In previous years they have won medals for their fantastic displays, and have recruited new members - they also have some good sales plants!

Is anyone else going? Last year we met people from York Manchester Leeds Teesside and Chester Branches.

Dot.
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Anybody for the Harrogate Show?

Post by IanW »

I'll be moving house this year unfortunately so can't make it, I hope to make it to the autumn show though as I've been trying to go back for years but things keep coming up whenever it's on!
JoelR
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON

Post by JoelR »

I'm going on Sunday. Hoping to find replacements for the garden but I always look out for the BCSS stand.
Joel
West Yorks
johno
Registered Guest
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by johno »

of course i will be there Dot. Wed setting up our display and Thurs Fri Sat Sun selling and meeting all the regulars.
Johno
dalesmatt
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by dalesmatt »

I'm hoping that if not called in to work I'll pop along on Thursday all being well. :) This ptobably means, like almost every other forum I've been on I won't see any other forum members or they'll be too shy to enquire if I am on the forum, or they'll be elsewhere :mrgreen:
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Not sure which day I will attend - current plan is Thursday, definitely not Saturday as that is reserved for the North West Cactus Mart. :grin:
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

The plan worked, went to the show today and got there just after it opened
Yorkshire Gold
Yorkshire Gold
southfield_0504_2.JPG
plant_lovers_0519.JPG
craig_house_0499.JPG
Slightly strange background colours caused by applying high compression to jpg file as first attempt to upload failed due to file being too large
dalesmatt
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by dalesmatt »

Thanks for the photos Jim.
I didn't get today, well, not further than the car park. My wife and I only had 2 hours spare after a busy morning, and then having to get to a meeting at 2pm I didn't think it was worth £30 entry for only a couple of hours to spend there, but never mind. Still going to the mart on Saturday.
ttfn
Matt
Matt
Joined online :) Member number 49972. Bradford Branch.
Interests include South American cacti and spiny Euphorbias
Dot
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Dot »

Thanks for the photos Jim, we got there about 10.30 so missed seeing you, - got waylaid by the search for bacon sandwiches and coffee and listening to a jazz band!

York Branch put on a magnificent display, and were awarded a Premier Award and a cup. They had made the theme of the dislpay an Agave or Century Plant, which fitted in nicely with the Show being a celebration of a hundred years of the Northern Horticultral Society.
There were lots of plants for sale too, some came back with me to Sheffield!

Congratulations and well done York Branch.

See you at the North West Cactus Mart tomorrow,

Dot
Dot
Zone 3 Rep.
johno
Registered Guest
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by johno »

hi dot
thanks for write up but you said we got a premier award for our diplay we actualy got a gold award and were very pleased with that, worth all the hard work,it was nice to see you there and other regulars.
Johno