Sale of large agave collection

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
chrisg
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Sale of large agave collection

Post by chrisg »

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, or if i could be posted elsewhere.

A few people on here may know that Paul Higginson died at the start of the summer. Paul was a massive agave collector along with a few other succulents and has built up a large collection. I am helping his family re-house the majority of his amazing collection. This sunday (10th Nov) from 11am his family will be hosting a sale of plants. The aim is to re-house as many plants as possible to good homes. It will be an opportunity to pick up many agaves, aloes echeverias, aeoniums, there are quite a few large specimens at very good prices. If you want to see many of the plants that will be available then they can be found here http://www.n-s-succulents.co.uk/Plants. The aim is to move as may plants as possible, For the brave there are also some very large plants.

The sale will run from 11am - 4pm on Sunday, it is difficult to find with sat navs, so we are arranging signs to be put up from somewhere more accessible: the Wharf Tavern, Market Drayton, Shropshire, TF9 2LP. The greenhouse is a minute from the pub (which does excellent food) and there will be signs pointing to the sale from there. There will be parking so you can drive from the pub to the sale.

Please feel free to let others know especially the local branch if you are local.

I know it is short notice, as I am sure you can understand his family have had more important things on their minds, and now want to get as many plants as possible to good homes so they do not loose them over winter.

If you have questions please post them here or PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Sale of large agave collection

Post by Cactus Jack »

Have you contacted "Agave Geoff " ?? (tu)
Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
chrisg
BCSS Member

Post by chrisg »

I have dropped geoff an email, but not sure he is around, not heard back.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

chrisg wrote:I have dropped geoff an email, but not sure he is around, not heard back.
He was at the Worcester Cactus Society auction last night.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
chrisg
BCSS Member

Post by chrisg »

rodsmith wrote:
chrisg wrote:I have dropped geoff an email, but not sure he is around, not heard back.
He was at the Worcester Cactus Society auction last night.
Did you mention this to him by any chance? I'll PM him again just in case

I'll also dig out a couple of photos of some of Pauls collection and the planted area in his greenhouse.
chrisg
BCSS Member

Post by chrisg »

I thought I would post some pictures of Pauls greenhouse

When you walk in this is the the cold section, the family are keeping all of this.
house-01

house-02

Nice agave which was in flower back in June.
agave-flower-june13

There is also this massive cycad that he rescued.
cycad

The other side of the path
house-03

This section is pretty much unheated which is pretty impressive given his low last winter was -16 :shock:

you then walk through into the bench section which is partially heated and has two large heat sinks.
house-04

house-05

most of the plants were on tables by group, this table is full of the closely related manfredas & mangaves
manfredas

There are two 8x6 greenhouses at the very back which are heated and contain the small plants, next to them is a potting and prop area. I think overall the greenhouse is about 24 wide x 40 deep.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Chris
What a fantastic set up he had, I love the cycad,.
See you at the weekend,
I have emailed Geoff
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
chrisg
BCSS Member

Post by chrisg »

The cycad is amazing isn't it. There were a lot of very jealous people when he rescued it who are now asking if it is for sale as well :lol: I believe he used a digger to plant it and then build that section of the greenhouse around it.