GYPSUM

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: GYPSUM

Post by Phil_SK »

I don't use gypsum. But if you mix Plaster of Paris with water, let it set and dry and then break it up this will be the same as if you had gypsum.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

"Not sure that you'd really want to use plasterboard. The gypsum used to manufacture it is often a waste product of other industrial processes such as flue gas desulphurisation in power stations."

I think they still used "flue gas gypsum" it in agriculture in my original link. However as you say with industrial products you can never be sure that the composition of the product remains constant. Look at the rubbish we now get sold as John Innes composts which are nothing like the old original recipes, containing poorly rotted garden waste instead of peat. Landfill in a bag!
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Rene G

Post by Rene G »

You can get Gypsum alright, but you may have to buy a 25kg bag! I have used it for over 20 years and Cacti thrive on it if you use it wisely. I guess it helps to unlock some of the base key elerments and nutrients for the plants to absorb. Use it sparingly, I use a table spoon full to a bucket of potting medium.
Good thing about it is that it does not effect or increase the pH as lime wood.
Roberto A
BCSS Member

Post by Roberto A »

Rene G wrote:You can get Gypsum alright, but you may have to buy a 25kg bag! I have used it for over 20 years and Cacti thrive on it if you use it wisely. I guess it helps to unlock some of the base key elerments and nutrients for the plants to absorb. Use it sparingly, I use a table spoon full to a bucket of potting medium.
Good thing about it is that it does not effect or increase the pH as lime wood.

ehhh... as I wrote before, my problem is that I can't find Gypsum (that is: natural or "agricultural" gypsum) here.... I have seen there are many quarries selling it on main-land Italy, but not on my Island... :-(
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by gerald »

I have a 1kg bag, I can send you a few hundred grammes if you can paypal the postage costs. Just pm your address.