Root mealy bugs on lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Root mealy bugs on lithops

Post by el48tel »

Don't underestimate the ability of mealie .... they get everywhere.
Soaking in meths .... a couple of minutes.
Undiluted is best but don't go past the couple of minutes.
Whilst you are out shopping buy a spray bottle for the backup treatment. Only needs to be the kind you'd need for cosmetics in hand luggage on vacation.
Be vigilant for the need for subsequent applications should your comments about the extent of the current infection be as you say.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Jura
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by Jura »

So I lm going to town today and gonna pick this one on woodies. Is that the one I need? Also should it be diluted somehow before usage?

Has anyone tried diluted hydrogen peroxide before? Meant to kill existing root mealies too and aerate soil?

I think I killed about 90% of all the critters and now just keep an eye ,I have something that is called dursban, I mean could try and do monthly or biweekly watering with different chemicals and keep changing soil just before that watering? That should eradicate everything rather quick?

Thank you for all your help!
Attachments
Screenshot_20221105-083853_Samsung Internet.jpg
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

I use meths to deal with Mealy bugs. Use a very small artists brush to spot treat them. I use vine weevil killer for root mealy bugs. I have a large and old Mestoklema that was infested with root mealy bugs and was not looking well. Using the recommended dose I soaked the compost in the pot left it a week then did it again. Checked it recently no more root mealy bugs and the plant is now looking well. Meths is good for spot treating, kills them instantly. I also use bug clear ultra to spray the plants from time to time.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN

Post by habanerocat »

I'd use it neat. I can't comment if all brands are the same. It should be about 90% ethanol per volume. The plan with washing and trimming any damaged roots is to eliminate any of the bugs and destroy their hiding places. The methylated spirits kills any remaining small bugs and their eggs.

I know nothing about hydrogen peroxide, never used it.

This procedure as posted above will work. Use good housekeeping obviously. Clean work area, clean tools, clean pots. They'll be no need for further treatment. Give the plant time to recover. Some might die. I'm not a fan of taking plants in and out out of their pots. I just keep a close eye on the underside of the pot. Once re-established I'd pop it out and have a look.
Jura
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by Jura »

Neat it is! I'm also thinking of cutting down the roots down to the stump and just hope for the best really. I mean I hope i can get rid of that nest in 4 months, fingers crossed.

I've bleached the floor where I dismantled lithops, might do it again just in case because there are some cacti that I'm not fond of being infected........ in my head those critters run at 100 mile an hour...
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I use a strong spray bottle ( old window cleaning one) for spraying meths, you can get a really good jet so you know you get into all the crevice's, not recommended for Uebellmannia that turn blue :lol:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Meths is also good for preventing black spot on Stapeliads.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

So much for a phyto sanitary certificate, or don’t the inspectors care about root mealies?
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:15 pm So much for a phyto sanitary certificate, or don’t the inspectors care about root mealies?
Oh, didn’t spot you are in the republic, my bad
Smel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Smel »

Hi,
Yes I use meths for mealy bugs, apply it with a small paint brush, which allows you to get in between the spines and leaves. For roots de-pot get as much compost off that you can and put in half a glass/mug of the Meths for 10 minutes (Stiring now and again).... They also offten lay their eggs around the pot rim or on the base.

Regards

Mel.
Open your mind, but not too much, your brain might fall out !!
BCSS Member Leicester.

I also like photography, electronics, model building......etc.