Root mealy bugs on lithops

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
esp
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Root mealy bugs on lithops

Post by esp »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:43 pm I’ve had root mealie in the past and used a product called Gazelle to great effect. It’s a professional use product and using it in a greenhouse on ornamental plants is within the approved uses. I use it as a root drench. It’s much less likely to kill you too.
I’ve not seen root mealies in my collection since starting to use it.
I had root mealie in a few plants a few years ago (and more arrived as I went through a short-lived spell of buying lots of plants rather than mostly growing from seed).
I used Bug Clear Ultra Vine Weevil killer as a root drench during summer 2019. I was very through, treating each plant twice with a gap of a few weeks between. I use a highly mineral mix for nearly all plants, so the penetration and wetting of the root ball was very good. Pots were mostly immersed in the drench mix, rather than watering it in.
Fingers crossed, this seems to have been totally successful at eradication root mealy from my GH.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Acid John wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:35 pm Isn't Gazelle just a more concentrated version of Bug Clear Ultra?
They contain the same active, yes.
Your challenge with BCU is achieving a decent drench at the right concentration without buying lots of bottles. If you follow the label dilution, one bottle makes just 20l.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

That is true.
Acid John
Jura
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by Jura »

Guys what are your thoughts on dinotefuran? I have one packet that says it's 50% of active ingredient.

Today I'll be sticking all lithops in methylated spirit, and probably gonna water with this pesticide week later?