Stapelia/Aeoniums

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Patrick
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET

Stapelia/Aeoniums

Post by Patrick »

After learning from the Crassula Ovata thread that people don't water their's in the winter and that it helps flowering, I am wondering about a few others that I have religiously watered every few weeks through the winter. Aeonium Schwarzkop, Stapelia Hirsuta and Kalanchoe Daigremontianum. They are all in my unheated porch where the minimum temp is about 6 or 7c but is mostly about double that. What do you suggest?
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: Stapelia/Aeoniums

Post by Vic »

If it works for you Patrick then don't change it. Cacti can generally be treated all the same ie. keep them dry but succulents are a different ballgame and require various cultivation methods due to their different growing seasons and tend to indicate when they are thirsty by shrivelling excessively. Aeoniums are generally winter growers but in their native habitats the temps never become that low, saying that the few I used to have were kept dry but I've never got serious about growing them.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Stapelia/Aeoniums

Post by Liz M »

Patrick, Aeoniums as Vic says are winter growers and as a result need to be kept frost-free and damp. If you don't water them they won't grow and there is no chance that they will flower in spring. Keeping them in your porch at those temperatures is fine, how much sunlight do they get? They will need some. Kalanchoes have flowered for me in winter and I have not watered them but kept them cool. Stapelia I have kept very slightly damp and resumed watering in March or April, they then flower later in summer.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.