The culprit

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

The culprit

Post by iann »

Last night I had that feeling of something sticking in my side, or perhaps an insect bite, but I couldn't tie down just where. One minute in my side, then under my arms. After much scrabbling about through layers of clothing (July, it shouldn't be so cold!) that only seemed to be making things worse, I found something stuck in my jumper. And inside it. And in my skin. It seems I leaned a little too close to this Tephrocactus.
geometricus-0710.jpg
I don't grow many plants with glochids and Tephrocactus are relatively free from them, but the flower stems produce very large aggressive ones. I tolerate them even when they stick to the plant for 6 months, because the flowers are nice.
geometricus-0613.jpg
Cheshire, UK
Mal L
BCSS Member

Re: The culprit

Post by Mal L »

Obviously a good dispersal mechanism. It must have mistaken you for a vicuna - what colour is your jumper?
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

I do have a jumper that might be from an Alpaca, but not quite that cold. Always wondered why these plants were so keen to disperse their detachable spines, but they're certainly good at it.
Cheshire, UK
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Did you attempt to re root it, or did you bin it for the grief it gave you ?
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Only the glochids came loose. No cacti were harmed during the making of this thread.
Cheshire, UK