Dioscorea elephantipes breaking dormancy  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
babytoes1956
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Dioscorea elephantipes breaking dormancy

Post by babytoes1956 »

Hi all,
I have read as much as I can find on this genus and species here and elsewhere, and was seeking information on whether there is a standard time of year or season that this plant usually breaks dormancy. Many suggested that it does this when and if it wants to. A few weeks ago, I got daring and gave the pot a soak, hoping that I could nudge it into showing signs of life. Today I looked, and beside the stump showing that it had grown at some point, I saw something green, but too small to tell anything with my trifocals. I got my handy iPhone out, snapped a photo, and enlarged it on my screen, and lo and behold, the start of growth emerging.
Attachments
IMG_0249.jpeg
IMG_0247.jpeg
BCSS 53332
MSG 3276
Mal L
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes breaking dormancy  Solved

Post by Mal L »

babytoes1956 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:28 pm Many suggested that it does this when and if it wants to.
Yes, I would say that sums it up very succinctly!
Once my plant just skipped a whole year, and I thought it must have died (but it hadn't). This year it was in leaf all Spring and Summer until about one month ago. It then went dormant, I cut off the dead stem and only two weeks later it started into growth again and is now bigger than ever. Mind you, I can understand it being thoroughly confused by the British weather, especially here in the NorthWest!
Malcolm
Stockport, UK
Member of Macclesfield & East Cheshire BCSS Branch

Collection mainly of cacti, though interested in a much wider variety of plants than I can accommodate!
MatDz
BCSS Member

Re: Dioscorea elephantipes breaking dormancy

Post by MatDz »

I hope you won't mind my piggybacking the thread!

My pretty new D. elephantipes purchased about 1.5 months ago started growing new stem about 1 month ago, reached the stage below after maybe 2-2.5 weeks and then stopped doing anything. I'm wondering if the leaf colour means I kept it too close to the growlights (indoor) and the plant decided to go right back into dormancy? I'll take another photo in a week's time and see if there's any progress, but I'd swear the wasn't for the last week or so... The caudex is about 2.5 cm in case this matters.

Mat
babytoes1956
BCSS Member

Post by babytoes1956 »

Mal L wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:14 pm
babytoes1956 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:28 pm Many suggested that it does this when and if it wants to.
Yes, I would say that sums it up very succinctly!
Once my plant just skipped a whole year, and I thought it must have died (but it hadn't). This year it was in leaf all Spring and Summer until about one month ago. It then went dormant, I cut off the dead stem and only two weeks later it started into growth again and is now bigger than ever. Mind you, I can understand it being thoroughly confused by the British weather, especially here in the NorthWest!
Thanks Malcolm.
Your observations will help inform my treatment of this lovely plant.
BCSS 53332
MSG 3276
babytoes1956
BCSS Member

Post by babytoes1956 »

MatDz wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:34 pm I hope you won't mind my piggybacking the thread!

My pretty new D. elephantipes purchased about 1.5 months ago started growing new stem about 1 month ago, reached the stage below after maybe 2-2.5 weeks and then stopped doing anything. I'm wondering if the leaf colour means I kept it too close to the growlights (indoor) and the plant decided to go right back into dormancy? I'll take another photo in a week's time and see if there's any progress, but I'd swear the wasn't for the last week or so... The caudex is about 2.5 cm in case this matters.

Hi Mat,

Our plants both seem to be pretty similar in size, so it will be fun to compare as time goes by.

Cheers,
John
BCSS 53332
MSG 3276
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

babytoes1956 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:04 pm Hi Mat,

Our plants both seem to be pretty similar in size, so it will be fun to compare as time goes by.

Cheers,
John
If mine finally wakes up!
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

babytoes1956 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:04 pm Hi Mat,

Cheers,
John
If mine finally wakes up fully!
Mat
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Even though plants can wake up at any time over a two month period (but each individual usually about the same time each year), they are definitely winter-growing plants. So the triggers for growth are likely to be reducing hours of daylight and cool nights. If you are growing in conditions of your own making under lights, you might need to consider this.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

They definitely grow to their own body clock but once you have vines you can be generous with the water.

I have a Dioscorea that came from a collection rehoming/rescue after the owner passed away after being poorly for a few years, the label says its d.elephantipes, over 50 years old but its quite small for 50 years & is an odd shape, now the leaves have started & they aren't the right shape for d.elephantipes, they are the shape of d.hemicrypta but the wrong colour as these are normally a brighter matt green with more prominent veins in the leaf.
Could it be a hybrid or anyone know an ID for it or just natural variation.

First unpotting, couldn't believe the size for age
dioscorea rescue repot  2020.jpg
dioscorea rescue 2020.jpg
Now in leaf
dioscorea rescue leaf  2020.jpg
dioscorea rescue leaf  A 2020.jpg
Finally I got a bit inventive with the baby dioscorea's climbing frame.
dioscorea heart  2020.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Mine too has just sprouted about 3" of vine, so I chucked 1/2 a bucket of water on it.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk