Copiapoa cinerea prices

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Copiapoa cinerea prices

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

This copiapoa cinerea just sold for £437. I've seen one recently go for £500+. What do you think contributes to these prices, considering others in the genus don't go for anywhere near as much. Social media hype? Rarity in cultivation?
Screenshot_20230619-070119.png
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
el48tel
BCSS Member

Re: Copiapoa cinerea prices

Post by el48tel »

You may have identified two main factors.
And there's nothing like a bit of hype (social media especially) to push demand and price.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

As long as you put "rare" or "choice" on any plant on EBAY no matter how common it will sell for a stupid price. However a plant that size has taken a few years to grow, but not £437 worth. I like then adding postage is extra at £5.50p.

The main attraction of the C. cinerea group in habitat or pre CITES as collected plants was the white farina they produced probably due to conditions and slow growth in habitat usually not reproduced in cultivated plants.

0038.jpg

Cacti are not a hobby for those in a hurry, but you do get some impatient "cheque book" collectors who must have instant plants. However unless you can continue to grow them they are expensive to loose!
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

They are very slow to grow them to this size & they are beautiful plants, don't get too big, not demanding of special conditions or temps.
I had this in my watch list as its looked nice n clean.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
ianstrutt
Registered Guest

Post by ianstrutt »

Given how old that is, the more I think about it that price seems reasonable.

I was at Tony Morris’ auction yesterday and it became abundantly obvious that well grown plants will fetch a premium. I spent more than I thought I would have to but came away with some beautiful plants.
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.
greatnorthernexotic
BCSS Member

Post by greatnorthernexotic »

ianstrutt wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:58 am Given how old that is, the more I think about it that price seems reasonable.

I was at Tony Morris’ auction yesterday and it became abundantly obvious that well grown plants will fetch a premium. I spent more than I thought I would have to but came away with some beautiful plants.
What were the prices, roughly? At Colin Norton's auction last year mature lophs, ariocarpus and copiapoa we're going for anywhere from £120 to £200.

Ultimately any plant is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but my original point was that you could pay a a fraction of the price for a similar sized c. coquimbana or even c. haseltoniana. Cinerea (and columna-alba) seem to be the hyped species currently.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BCSS #54601 (LEEDS BRANCH)
youtube.com/@greatnorthernexotic / instagram.com/greatnorthernexotic
In the greenhouse: ariocarpus, astrophytum, aztekium, copiapoa, lophophora...
In the outdoor arid bed: hardy agave, aloe, dasylirion, hesperaloe, opuntia, yucca...
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Ha ha, it was me at Tony's with a bit of a copiapoa obsession, although I'm about done with copiapoa apart from one last plant on the list.
I now have two flowering adult c.columnar -alba so well pleased.

Tonys plants were mostly good quality, really old 'sort of heritage plants' as often you can follow/find out where they came from, often another mature growers auctions & as Graham said are easily 100+ years old.
Some of his collection hadn't been watered as he hadn't finished watering when he became poorly ( I was told)
Cinerea (and columna-alba) seem to be the hyped species currently.
not hyped but much slower growing and less common ( apart from at Tonys).
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Benjy
BCSS Member

Post by Benjy »

greatnorthernexotic wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:06 pm
ianstrutt wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:58 am
but my original point was that you could pay a a fraction of the price for a similar sized c. coquimbana or even c. haseltoniana. Cinerea (and columna-alba) seem to be the hyped species currently.
I don't think its hyped, slower to grow, flowering and reliable seed not always available. C.coquimbana & haseltoniana flower often produce loads of seed and grow easier and faster.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Even Copiapoa solaris sales on eBay are getting hyped with "no cinerea" descriptions. Seems strange since one is much rarer and slower than the other, and at least a few years ago was desperately expensive. They might be pushing their luck with this one, though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175352216644 ... R6CnleGbYg
Cheshire, UK
ianstrutt
Registered Guest

Post by ianstrutt »

iann wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:12 pm Even Copiapoa solaris sales on eBay are getting hyped with "no cinerea" descriptions. Seems strange since one is much rarer and slower than the other, and at least a few years ago was desperately expensive. They might be pushing their luck with this one, though:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175352216644 ... R6CnleGbYg
It's also listed in the 'dried and artificial plants' category!
Growing in Nottingham for the past 4 years and recently found my way to a Nottingham branch meeting. A few plants on a windowsill has very quickly turned into a greenhouse full!

Attempting to grow a range of turbinicarpus, coryphantha, escobaria and several other cactus genera. Tylecodons, pelargoniums and conophytums keep me occupied in the winter and an ever expanding number of gasteria live under the bench.