Echeveria roots?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
lenbell
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Echeveria roots?

Post by lenbell »

I think they have quite shallow roots. I had a E elegans (supposedly) growing happily for a year on a paving slab. Unhappily it didn't survive spending a few days under a mound of snow from the greenhouse roof.
Len Bell, Born-again Colchester member of the Clacton Branch BCSS; Mesemb Study Group; Mamm Soc & Haworthia Soc.
On the Forum since Sept 2007. Particularly keen on ... Lithops; Adros; Haworthias; Mamms;Lobivias;
Eriosyce; Euphorbias; Astros; Notos; Conos; Aloes; Agaves; Feros; Stenos; Echinocerei; Etc.; Etc.; ...
View a few at: http://picasaweb.google.com/len84bell/
Fellow Forum followers' visitations welcome. Please PM first.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

Hi Ian, I might take issue with the 'it's only an Echeveria' but will add to the discussion instead. I put most of mine in shallow bowls, simply because the roots seldom fill a deep pot. Small plants in deep pots may fill it with roots when they are needing a bigger pot. It does not sound as if there is any cause for alarm with regard to vine weevils. I would not treat where there is no apparent need but vine weevils are nasty, horrble things so you may be wise to treat.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I'm definitely going to need some more bowls. Or less shallow-rooted clumping plants ;)
Cheshire, UK
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

I think that in general they have fairly shall roots and I grow most of mine in shallow pots and recently have been using clay half pots (probably should be called azealea pots) which seems to suit them fine.
Mike
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch