A few Hildewinteria flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AndrewB
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

A few Hildewinteria flowers

Post by AndrewB »

These are so exotic, some have incredibly powerful scents. Most from the other year.
Humkes Honeymouth
Humkes Honeymouth
Humkes Honeymouth
Humkes Honeymouth
Noller 2 x T. vasqueziana hybrid
Noller 2 x T. vasqueziana hybrid
Sweet Temptation (reminiscent of the Noller 2 x Tricho hybrid)
Sweet Temptation (reminiscent of the Noller 2 x Tricho hybrid)
Hauggs Amethyst
Hauggs Amethyst
Klein Gelbe
Klein Gelbe
Helms Neue
Helms Neue
Buma with Shades of Bourne for scale
Buma with Shades of Bourne for scale
Buma
Buma
Buma
Buma
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: A few Hildewinteria flowers

Post by edds »

Cracking flowers Andrew. The Buma flowers look a similar size to my 'Adenken an Friedrich Ritter'. Is it upright growing or trailing?

I've still got a couple of Hildewintera seedlings from your seed doing quite well. Think they're still a year or two away from flowering though. If I remember correctly, they're both from the cross 'Sweet Temptation' X Echinopsis 'Daydream' so will be interesting to see what they look like when they flower.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Cracking plants Andrew
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
AndrewB
BCSS Member

Post by AndrewB »

Ed, it is upright to start with, then starts to change to pendulous as the stems get longer.

I also have a few of the Sweet Temptation x Daydream, and some Sweet Temptation x Honeymouth. Long way from flowering though!

I did get a hildewintera x chamealobivia to germinate, but the seedling struggled then died last winter.

Still, I got a few more hildewintera crosses to germinate this year, so hopefully I can get a few through the winter.

How big are the Sweet Temptation x Daydream seedlings Ed?
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

AndrewB wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:08 pm How big are the Sweet Temptation x Daydream seedlings Ed?
Sorry for rough and ready photo, these are the surviving two in 6cm round pots. Planning to pot them on into 7cm square pots over the summer and take them back to my office for another warm winter.
Hildewintera 'Sweet Temptation' X Echinopsis 'Daydream'
Hildewintera 'Sweet Temptation' X Echinopsis 'Daydream'
They are being out-paced though in growth terms by some colademononis crosses sown last year. They are already bigger than these and showing some soft spines. They're still in my office at the moment but will take some photos on Monday.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
AndrewB
BCSS Member

Post by AndrewB »

Hi Ed.

They are growing nicely :)

My seedlings are a little stunted at the moment.
Andrew

StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

I am one of those sad people who has never actually seen a Hildewinteria hybrid flower 'in the petal'...! :???: I know!

So, what is the diameter of the flowers please? The pic of the one alongside Shades of Bourne suggests they are bigger than I imagine.
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

StevenT wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:36 pm I am one of those sad people who has never actually seen a Hildewinteria hybrid flower 'in the petal'...! :???: I know!

So, what is the diameter of the flowers please? The pic of the one alongside Shades of Bourne suggests they are bigger than I imagine.
Andrew can give you some accurate measurements of his cultivars but see this thread for some others,
https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... ldewintera

It looks like Buma is similar to 'Adenken an Friedrich Ritter' which are around 9cm diameter for me. The others are 4-6cm generally for me.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

Many thanks Ed!

I think those astonishing flowers have a good case to be regarded as the best looking of all the cacti. I hope these hybrids become widely available.

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

StevenT wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:32 pm Many thanks Ed!

I think those astonishing flowers have a good case to be regarded as the best looking of all the cacti. I hope these hybrids become widely available.

Steven
They're among my favourites! Another big plus for me is that many of them don't seem to need a really cold winter to flower well so they work well hanging in my office.

I certainly hope they become more widely grown, especially as what used to be the best source, Europe, is now almost impossible for a hobbyist to import from.
Ed

BCSS member 53038